xii. pulling teeth

THE PRETTY BOY WITH THE BROKEN SMILE

↬•↫

in which caleb moore learns that he should have kept his mouth shut and eleven hopper reveals her plans to run away with her bruised-faced twin

pulling teeth | will the wise

〖 i'm all busted up, broken bones and nasty cuts - accidents will happen, but this time i can't get up 〗

i'm all busted up, broken bones and nasty cuts - accidents will happen, but this time i can't get up

↬•↫

tw : depictions of child abuse and self-victim-blaming

↬•↫

CALEB STRUGGLED through the gap between his open window and the sill with a grunt of effort, standing to his full height with a small groan and dropping his bag to the floor, rubbing at his eyes tiredly. He turned to ensure that Max was still sleeping, and that was when he noticed the dark figure sitting on the edge of his bed, hunched over with a hidden object in their hands.

His entire body seized up in terror when the man lifted his head, revealing himself to be Caleb's drunken foster father who had a peculiar look in his eyes. It made a shiver of trepidation course through his entire body. "I - I was just-"

"I sent the girl home."

"What?" Caleb panicked, worry for his own safety long gone, glancing at the spot where she should have been and feeling himself go a little pale in the face when all he was met with were rumpled sheets and an empty space where his Converse had been. "No! No, Tim, you can't, her step-dad-"

"What's the problem? It's not like you were planning anything anyway." Tim spoke evasively, standing to his feet with a passive quirk of the brow. But Caleb could feel the rage and disgust rolling off him in waves, and he knew instantly that it was a facade - and Tim was fucking dangerous when he was smiling. "Would've thought you'd be trying to get your hand down her pants when I heard the door close. How wrong was I, eh?"

Caleb wanted to scream at him and express the revolted emotion swirling through his stomach, plant a firm reminder in the man's mind that they were thirteen years old, for fuck's sake - and maybe even kick him in the balls to defend Max's honour because she definitely wasn't that kind of girl, but that last sentence caught his attention more than anything and suddenly the atmosphere in the room felt a million times more wrong.

"I don't - what do you-"

"Thin walls, son." Tim let out dark chuckle, the faint traces of his stubble accentuating his sunken cheeks and vicious grin as he placed the object he was holding on Caleb's dresser table. "Thin walls."