Is This Real?

A faint glow started seeping out of my heart. A spiral. My tears which were mixed now into the ocean started glowing like little stars in the night sky. The spiral became bigger and covered me whole. It's like the gods from above gave me strength. Strength to take out my own heart.

I transformed into my water form to escape Te Fitis grip and went to the water's surface. I could already hear her lava cracking underneath the ocean as the steam rose from her. I couldn't see anything around me, I just heard the faint calling of Moana and Maui.

the white spiral on my body started to crack open my chest. Pieces of flesh started to fall off around my heart and its beating was all I could think of at this moment.

Everything became silent. For that split moment of silence, the world stopped for me. I turned around and came face to face with my old self. She was covered in algae, her eyes dimmed with no life in them, skin bluish and hair unkempt. She smiled and extended her arm towards my heart. I covered it with my arms but her hand just went through mine. She grasped my beating heart and said quietly: "it's time to go Leilani."

She ripped it out of my chest as I stood there and just looked at my past self holding a beating white heart. The heart started to change form and turned to a replica of Te Fitis heart. She handed it to me, spun me around as her slimy hands touched my shoulders and whispered in my ear: "you know what to do".

At that moment Te Fiti rose from the water, cracks of hardened lava still falling off of her body. She searched for me and when she found me she moved towards me. I looked back and my past self was still standing there waiting for me. in the distance, I heard Mauis calls but I couldn't go back now. I have to finish this once and for all.

Te Fiti was closing in and as she was about to crush me I sang:

Help me I'm looking for my heart again

Is it gone

I don't want to wake up to this again

In my mind

Lost in my thoughts

Losing myself

The weight of pain has sunk me down the drain

Memories inside of me

The tears are running out

Swear I want to be alone

Until the day I die as of now

Help me I'm looking for my heart again

Is it gone

I don't want to wake up to this again.

As I sang water raised me towards Te Fitis chest and on impact, I pushed my heart inside her hidden spiral. As I saw that her eyes returned to normal I smiled and relief washed over me. She looked at me full of regret, as she brought up my old self. She extended her arms and said: "Now it's time to go." I was confused. "Go where?", I asked. She smiled sadly. "Do you think this world is real? Did you think you could become a demigoddess just by dying in an ocean? This is your hallucination. You drowned as the ship sank, but part of your brain is still functioning hence this. You wanted an adventure so badly, that your brain created this. Look at me. That's you right at this moment on the bottom of the ocean dying. But now you don't even have a heart in this world, so now it's time for us to go."

In disbelief, I took a step back as I gripped my hair, no no nonono! This can't be happening. I finally found a place where I belong, I can't go yet. I took a few steps back and suddenly I was falling into a black abyss, my past self with me. The closer we were to the abyss the more she changed back. In the end, all the algae fell off, her skin was back to normal, and her eyes sparkled with life. My tears were in the air still glowing in the dark and they only grew brighter as she smiled at me, knowing we were falling towards our death. She grabbed my hand and squeezed it and said: "Don't be afraid, everything's alright, I'm right beside you."

And then everything became black again.