Chapter 38

Brayden checked my message right away.  The three bubbles popped up saying he was typing.  They disappeared after a few seconds.  I waited for over half an hour for him to reply.  Why would he not have sent the message?  Because what he said was a lie.  I was being stupid and treating my friends like criminals because of what he said.  I was losing my mind.  I changed my clothes and grabbed extra ones and threw them in my bag.  

The more I thought about it the more stupid I felt. I'm sure he was just trying to get me worked up over old pictures.  It was no secret they use to hook up.  And I'm sure there were pictures from then.  I hated that there were probably pictures, but that was before Ayden, and I got together.  I couldn't be mad at Ayden now for something he did in the past.  But I have every right to teach Sarah a lesson about telling lies.  I would be pissed if they all knew she was doing this to make me out to be an idiot and said nothing to me.  I would simply straight up ask.

I pulled into Aubree's drive and noticed Ayden's truck wasn't here.  If he was that close to the lake, why was he not here yet?  Grabbing my bag, I headed to the door.

"Did you get all the wedding stuff figured out?"  Aubree asked as she let me in.

"I think so.  I got tired of waiting on mom to text back and let me know if I faxed the right papers or not, so I headed on over.  If they are wrong, I'll have to run home and fix it."  I said putting my bag down on the floor.  "Where are the guys?  I thought they would for sure be here by now."

"They said they had to make a stop before heading here, but I forgot what that stop was."  Aubree said acting nervous. 

"Chinese!"  Jonah said as he walked through the door.

"You read my mind. Thank you."  Kaylee said kissing Jonah. 

Ayden stood on the other side of the room studying me.  I tried to act normal but until I knew what was going on with Sarah and the pictures.  If it was true, whether they were old or new and Ayden kept it from me, I was going to be livid.  If it was news to him, all would be forgiven.  What if Ayden had slept with her that morning?  I would be mad that him and his friends gave me a different story.  I don't think I could forgive them.  Brayden had got in my head and planted doubts.  If it's all a lie, then I am the worst girlfriend ever.  I wouldn't be able to stop wondering until I seen the pictures for myself.

"Are you going to eat?"  Ayden asked interrupting my thoughts.

"No, I grabbed a bite at my house."  I forced a smile.  I managed to eat half an apple.  My stomach was uneasy.

"Just a bite for me?"  Ayden pleaded holding out his forkful of noodles. I took the fork from him getting a smaller bite.

"Happy?"  I smiled.  Ayden half smiled back. Either he's guilty of something, or he can tell I'm being distant.  It's not like him not to ask about what is bothering me until I spill it.

"Dad just added a new sound system out back.   I say we hang out there tonight.  Have a few drinks.  The bar is fully stocked."  Aubree suggested.  Everyone agreed.

"While you guys' finish eating, I'm going to go start making margaritas." I said getting up from my chair.  I walked out the patio door before Ayden could object.  I put ice, tequila, and margarita mix in the blender.  I sugared the rim of the glasses because I went with strawberry mix.  Staying busy didn't quiet my thoughts like it normally did.  I needed to clear my head.  I pulled off my dress and dove headfirst in the pool.  I swam from one end of the pool to the other. On about the third lap, I seen someone standing in my way.  I stopped before I reached them, catching my breath. I knew it was Ayden before I even wiped the water from my eyes.