Chapter 23

Ayden and I have not been alone together since the night at my house.  It's a little different when we hang out around our friends.  He doesn't joke like he used too.  He doesn't crack sexual jokes anymore and I miss it.  I do catch him staring at me every chance he gets.  We text each other every night about everything.  We have grown very close over the last couple of weeks.

Tonight, is Ayden and Aubree's birthday party at their lake house.  Kaylee has set me up on a blind date for tonight with her cousin.  I still don't actually date, but the girls think I need to get laid to get out of the mood they claim I have been in.  

I told Ayden about it over one of our late-night conversations and he warned me that they would keep pushing if I said no.  He informed me that if he showed up to his party without a date, everyone would know something was up.  We agreed that we both needed to hang out with other people to see if what ever happened between us would go away.

"That dress is smoking hot."  Kaylee said as we got ready for the party.  

I was wearing a skintight black dress that went all the way to my ankles. There was a slit up each side that stopped at my hip bones, and the neckline plunged almost to my waist.  It had a pair of short black bootie shorts sewn into it.  Let's face it, the universe hates me and there is no way I could manage something this sexy without the protection of some shorts.  Kaylee had picked out a light pink crop top with light pink sequence on the front.  I wouldn't go for the heels she picked out, instead I opted for my white converse.  I knew there was a chance I would be drinking a lot and did not want to chance falling on my face.

"If you're wearing those shoes, let me put your hair up."  Kaylee offered.  She pulled my hair into a high pony with sprigs of hair hanging down that she curled.  I looked hot in a flirty kind of way.  

I packed an emergency bag to leave in my car.  You know in case I spent the night or spilled my drink.  What if I wanted to go swimming?  We had half an hour to kill before we had to leave.  We had already helped Aubree set up for the party this morning.  She stayed at the lake house to get ready.

"Do we need to pick up Jonah?"  I asked as I locked up to leave.

"No, Jesse picked him up.  And my cousin Colt."  She teased bumping my arm.

        *********************************************************************************

We walked into the lake house.  There wasn't a whole lot of people here yet, but we were early.  Aubree called us up to her room to help her finish getting ready.  I caught myself looking for Ayden on the way upstairs.  I wanted to tell him Happy Birthday before too many people got here.

"What do you think?"  Aubree said modeling her outfit.  She was wearing a long black skirt that had a slit all the way up to her thigh. The top was a black bandanna type.  It looked amazing on her.  Kaylee pulled half of her hair up and curled all of it.  Tonight, was definitely her night to shine.

"The guys are here with Colt."  Kaylee squealed. 

"Let's head down and meet your one-night stand."  Aubree teased.  Kaylee explained that her cousin was just my type... he didn't do anything except casual.  

"Hey, Colt!"  Kaylee said hugging her cousin.  "This is my friend Makenzie."

"Hello, Makenzie."  Colt said in his player voice.  

Colt was definitely easy on the eyes.  You could tell he was the jock type, well-built and clean cut. I knew his type well.  Ayden was more muscular. Colt was a little taller.  Colt didn't have Ayden's panty dropping smile.  Or his bad boy tattoos.