Chapter 24

I left the lake house while everyone was still asleep.  I left that amazing guy asleep alone in his bed.  I left a note.  

                Ayden,

                                 Last night was the most amazing night of my life that I will never forget.  I hope you understand that I'm protecting you from my fucked up life.  This is the only way I know how to show you how much I love you

                                                                                                                    Love,

                                                                                                                    Mak

It's been three days...

"You have got to get up.  What do you plan on doing?  Sleeping the rest of your life?"  Kaylee said opening the drapes.  I threw my blanket over my head.

"He's a mess, too, Ya know."  Aubree said as she sat on the foot of the bed.

"What happened?  We thought everything was going great."  Kaylee said sitting on the other side of me.

"Makenzie!"  Mom yelled from downstairs.

"She's up here!"  Aubree informed her.

"Hey, sweetie! How was your weekend?"  Mom said coming into my room.  Her voice caused me to start crying.

"Mom!"  I cried.

"What happened?  Are You hurt?"  Mom said running to me. 

"Not physically."  Kaylee calmed her.

"Come here.  What is the problem?"  Mom said embracing me.  "What did he do?"

"Nothing."  I sniffled.  "It was all my fault." 

"Go on."  Mom urged. 

"Mom, he's perfect.  I hurt him because I was scared."

"What were you scared of baby?"

"Falling in love."  I cried again.

"Why on earth would you be scared of that?"  Mom's voice was light.

"Because...I don't want to have to go through the heartbreak of having to leave him."  I cried.

"Oh honey. If you want to stay here because you are in love, then that's what we will do. I would never move if you were happy."

"I tried so hard not to fall in love, I really did.  He made it impossible not to.  I hurt him so bad."   I cried.

"I had no idea that you felt this way."  Mom choked.  "Baby, I'm so sorry that I gave you the wrong idea about relationships."

"What do you mean?"

"Baby, I don't cry because my relationship failed.  I cry because I miss your dad.  I was so selfish making you move around.  I guess, in the back of my mind I thought we would one day find him."  Tears streamed down Mom's face.  My heart broke for her. 

"Mak, he cares about you so much.  He's been beating himself up because he doesn't think he's enough for you."  Aubree chimed in.

"I don't know how to fix this."  I said afraid to get my hopes up.

"Let's start by taking a shower."  Kaylee smiled.

*****