37. By the Sand

January 2nd
1:28 pm

"Get that thing away from me!" Gen came running up to our beach blanket and threw herself behind Casey. Sand flew everywhere and Casey yelped loudly.

Ben came walking in our direction and sat on the edge of my beach blanket. Both Casey and I leaned closer to him and he held his hand out. There was a small horseshoe crab crawling on his palm.

I moved away in disgust. "Eww."

"It's kinda cute." Casey leaned forward and ran her finger on it's back.

Gen moved to sit down next to me. "Of course you'd think it was cute."

"Did you know that-"

"Nope," Gen said shaking her head and interrupting Ben. "I can't hear another creepy fun fact about crabs. It makes my skin crawl."

Ben simply chuckled and petted the crab. "She doesn't know what she's talking about." He whispered to it. "You're adorable."

I regretted not putting my hair in twists before I came to Florida. The heat had done nothing but make my hair frizzy and it was getting harder to manage. It was in a big puffy afro right now so I couldn't actually go in the water today. I wore my deep blue/green swimsuit that cut off at my stomach but connected to the bottom with jean shorts.

 I wore my deep blue/green swimsuit that cut off at my stomach but connected to the bottom with jean shorts

"Hey, where's your boyfriend?"

I shaded my eyes from the sun with my hand and peered over at Casey.

"Are you talking to me?" I said confused.

"Yeah."

I rolled my eyes. "First of all, he's not my boyfriend," I said with a small smile on my lips.

"Not yet anyway," Gen whispered.

"And you should be asking Gen that question. They're both probably together."

Gen leaned her body to the side and drew shapes in the sand. She was wearing an oversized blue shirt that reached to her knees with a bathing suit underneath and her hair in a low bun.