54. Dying slowly

TW⚠️: This chapter is a bit dark so I figured I should warn you. Proceed with caution. Buckle up! 😏

Maya's POV

Thursday, February 18th

5:17 pm

"SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

"I can breathe for the first time!" Gen said jumping up and down using a brush as a mic.

"I'm so moving on, Yeah Yeah!"

"Thanks to you." I grabbed my water bottle and pretended I was singing at a concert.

"Now I get." She sang. "I get what I want. Since you've been gone."

I laughed and lowered the volume on my speaker.

I fell on the floor dramatically and let out an exhausted sigh. Gen bent down and laid opposite of me, our heads pointed in different directions.

Never thought I could actually relate to that song, or any breakup song for that matter.

It was weird when I thought about it. Will and I were no longer together. It had actually happened.

After I literally dumped my past trauma on him last night we went our separate ways.

I needed healing and time. It was all I could do for now.

Gen reached her hand over and pressed the sides of our heads together. "It's you and me against the world."

"Against the world." I reaffirmed with a laugh.

She released her hand and stared at the ceiling. "No matter what happens today. You're going to be okay." She whispered. "You're a warrior."

Today was the last day of the trial and most classes were canceled on campus. Everyone was buzzing about what could be the end result. I was on my second cup of coffee today and it was only 5.

I was freaking out inside trying not to lose my cool. I couldn't cry today. I promised myself I wouldn't.

"Let's do something impulsive." I sat up and turned around to look at her.

She sat up on her elbows, her blonde curls falling off her shoulders.

"Like what?"

I twisted my lips and hesitated. "Let's get a tattoo."

She raised her eyebrows and laughed loudly. "You're joking."

I stood up and grabbed my phone from the nightstand. "No. I'm serious. I've always been too chicken to get one but I want one now."

She got up and I showed her a picture of a nearby tattoo parlor I googled.

"This is insane." She took my phone and stared at it.

I was feeling out of control of my own life currently and I knew I was projecting by wanting to get a tattoo.

"Okay...let's just go and check it out but I can't promise you I'll get a tattoo." She smiled at me and I bounced on the balls of my feet.

"Yes."

I grabbed my purse and we both hurried to get dressed.

***************************************

8:08 pm

I opened the front door of the house and Gen followed in close behind me.

"Woah, what's going on?" She asked placing her coat on the rack.