42. Repeated Offense

TW: Mentions of sexual assault and rape in this chapter.

Pictures from Florida

January 14th
7:38 pm

I exited the cab and walked out into the pavement. It was already late now. The flight was 16 hours long and I'd been up since 5 this morning.

I just wanted to go to bed at this point.

I looked up at our house and noticed the lights weren't on.

"I miss the warm weather," Gen said taking our suitcases from the trunk of the cab.

I helped her roll them onto the sidewalk and felt the slight crunch of the snow beneath my feet.

It was maybe like 30 degrees out right now.

"Tell me about it."

She slammed the trunk and handed the driver money. We both said thank you and he waved, taking off down our street.

I leaned my coat-covered arms on the handle of my suitcase.

"Do you think she's home?"

"I really hope not."

Christina had been right about Aunt Lucy showing up. She called Gen and told her she was at the game yesterday. Gen lied and said she couldn't meet up and didn't mention when she'd be coming home.

We both made our way to the back door and Gen took out her key, unlocking the door.

We both dragged our bags in and she turned on the light-switch. We entered the kitchen and stopped instantly.

"Hello? Anybody home?" She said loudly. A moment passed and there was only silence.

I sighed in relief after no one answered.

"Thank God." I sat down at the breakfast table and placed my carry-on bag on the table.

She moved past me and walked into the living room.

"We should get going." I heard her say through the door.

She walked back into the kitchen and look at me awaiting my response.

"What?"

"We should get out of here. My mom isn't here yet, but she probably will be soon."

"But Gen-"

"You said it yourself. She's dangerous." She said cutting me off. "Let's go now quickly." I could see the urgency in her eyes.

"We just got off a 16-hour flight and you want to drive another 2 hours to campus?" I said, hearing how crazy she sounded.

"Jonny is parked down the street and it won't take us that long to repack." She leaned over the sink and pulled the curtains back, peering out the window.