24. Jellie

~~~~

"Omg! Are you ready for the trip?" Dustin shows his excitement with continuous and high jumps.

"It's in two weeks." I say, looking around the office.

"So? It's the first trip of the school year." After settling down, he settles on the chair next to mine.

It's been a few weeks since Halloween. Although I was hesitant at first, I still visit the recreation room and meet with Taron, Eva, and them. However, this time, I'm a little more cautious. Especially with what Eva told me.

Since it's almost the end of November, the whole grade is talking about the overnight trip that'll happen during the first week of December. From what I've heard, it's a trip to look forward to, so my expectations are progressively getting high.

"Gosh," I groan. "Where's Sofie when I need her?" Sofie is speaking with our chemistry teacher, hence why I'm filling in for her today.

"Boohoo," he sticks a tongue at me. I'm busy rolling my eyes and holding in my laugh. Meanwhile, I don't notice the people walking into the office.

"Hey," Conrad and Jae stands near the desk. "We wanted to ask if basketball tryouts are tod—"

"Yes, after school. Now leave." Dustin shoos them away. "You aren't the first ones to ask."

"Okay..." Conrad's attention lingers on him for a second before it catches me in a random corner.  "Hey Ellie! What are you doing here?" He asks.

"Hey," Jae acknowledges me.

"I'm filling in for Sofie."

"That's why we didn't see you at the rec room." He awkwardly scans the space between me and Dustin. My head tilts, realizing that he's analyzing more of me and Jae. Due to this, I make sure to keep my eyes low and look anywhere but at them. "Well thanks!" He begins to leave and his best friend follows.

Once they've left, me and Dustin release a breath of air. "Thank goodness. The sexual tension between you two were—" he fans himself.

"Stop it," I slap his hand down, done with the overreaction.

He nonchalantly flips through the notes the secretary left for us. "I was always a Collie shipper."

"Collie?"

"Yes, Conrad and Ellie."

I cringe, "ugh, not this again." I sink into my seat, dreading from the resurrection of that name.

"What? It's cute, or is Ellae better?" He smirks.

"Ellae? What type of—"

"Ooo or Jellie..."

I'm confused at first until realization dawns upon me. "Like a jelly fish? Hell no." I pack my stuff as some sort of distraction, double checking the clock, and noticing the lunch break coming to an end.

"I don't hear you denying it." He teases. It makes me push his chair back from the monitor.

"Whatever." Once the bell rings, I take it as my cue and quickly leave the office, especially away from Dustin's usual teasing.

On my way to the gym, I try my best to not overthink. Yet, my mind always finds a way to keep it occupied with something.

I've told myself countless of times to get over him, but I just...can't. No matter how hard I convince my delusions about him not liking me, the moments where he's flirty, close to me, the little hand touches, smiles, physical and eye contact, and so on, feeds onto my infatuation.