33. fast and furious

~~~~

After convincing the other groups to end the night with a movie, we settle around the lounge room. Mrs. Pearce and Mr.Wilson have decided on Fast and Furious before turning off all the lights.

Everyone gets comfortable in their seats, focusing on the flat screen tv above the fireplace.

From our previous position on the floor, Jae stands up and sits beside Conrad and Roman. I take that as my cue. As the boys sit on the three seater me, Taron, and Eva sit on the floor, against the couch, in between their legs. I reluctantly place myself in between Jae's legs, trying not to touch and bother him in any way. Either way, it's useless since we're bunched close together.

The movie goes by slowly. I'm still enjoying it for the purpose of having our time occupied and cherishing the moment for a second. As scenes of cars flash by, I feel a soft tug on the ends of my hair—it's gentle. I take a peek behind me and notice Jae's the one playing with my hair.

I don't protest. 

I don't want to interrupt him and my fellow classmates' focus. It'll be awkward to declare, 'stop playing with my hair' in the middle of the movie. And maybe—maybe—it's comforting.

I adjust myself on the floor. My butt aches from how long I've been sitting on it.

Jae seems to notice because he leans close to my ear. "You can sit here."

I smile, turning around to him. "It's okay."

He shakes his head, spreading his legs apart. I skeptically look at the spot then at him. He's insisting me to sit in between them? My thoughts get answered when he brings out a hand for me and leads me to the spot. As of habit, I awkwardly sit at the edge. We would be too close and squished together. I'm worried if I'll annoy him even more.

"Relax, Ellie Mae." My posture deflates at his reassurance then he pulls me against his chest. I'm embarrassed from my reaction to the proximity, my breath hitching at the contact. Our position is intimate—so close. I take a deep breath. It's not too bad. And I ease my tension by placing myself comfortably in his embrace. Jae wraps his arms around my waist. I keep my gaze on the movie, resting my head on his shoulder as a way to distract the tummy flips.

~

"Ellie." Eva whispers from the other end of the couch. I look over and she's sitting on Roman's lap. Even through the dark, I see the teasing expression. I roll my eyes, letting out a quiet giggle.

"What?" Jae asks.

"Look at Eva."

We turn our heads in her direction. I regret it immediately because she's faking a make out session. Roman doesn't do anything to interfere and only chokes back his laughter.

Jae tucks my hair and whispers, "enjoying the movie?"

"Yes, I am."

I straighten my back and stretch from my position. As I lean back, Jae pulls me on his lap instead. I turn around and he appears nonchalant.

"Really?" I whisper.

"What?" He smiles, not looking down at me and only staring back at the movie. "Aren't you comfortable?" I roll my eyes.

Classic.

I sink into him. I'm comfortable. He's comfortable. Something about his warmth and cuddling close makes me feel things I'm too scared to admit. I've experienced it before. The feelings too familiar.

His hand begins to caress my waist in soft and slow motions that put me to sleep but I don't. Because he leans close and does something I've never expected. I gasp as the tip of his nose grazes my neck and a delicate kiss follows.