57. donut holes

Graduation was nothing more than a waste of time. It was torture to sit through a two-hour ceremony, particularly with Conrad next to me. I, along with Sofie, received a few awards, and I couldn't be happier. I'm proud not only because I've accomplished so much and graduated at the top of my class, but I also can't wait to leave my forbidden home.

As we prepare to enter college, Sofie and I have agreed to live with Malcom. We begged him to split the rent, but he's "proud of his success," so he declined. Thus Sofie and I devised a scheme to smuggle the bills under our pillows and out of Malcom's reach. He wouldn't even come close to our non-silk pillows.

After my birthday, I've tried to embrace myself as I am. I began to value the people in my life, such as Sofie, Malcom, and Dustin, and I realised that I wasn't alone. There's always a pit in my stomach whenever I think of Jae, but I've noticed that he's had a positive influence on my life. Although he said himself that he couldn't do anything but leave, I still believe he can change.

"Where are your two-faced parents?" Sofie walks in with empty boxes.

"They're staying with my aunt for a week" I rolls my eyes.

"In Niagara?" She raises a brow.

"Of course" I giggle. "You can put them by the bed" I point.

"AHHH"

"Malcom" Sofie jumps,glaring at him.

"I thank the goddesses we are moving out from this depressing room" he holds a hand on his chest, looking around my plain room.

"You can feel it too" I laugh as I put the last of my clothes in the boxes.

"I saw the energy as soon as I walked into your front yard." he scrunches his face.

"Is the Ellie happy?" Dustin walks up to me and places his hands on my shoulders.

"Hey" Malcom pushes his hands away from my face, making both Sofie and me laugh. "I'm the only one who has the right to call her the Ellie."

"My bad" he raises his hands in defense before winking at Malcom.

"I see you got a new phone" Sofie smirks while looking at my phone case.

"I wanted to start the new life off somehow" I shrug. "I need to go through the contacts"

"Ooo let's stalk the hot men in her phone" Malcom squeals. Sofie takes my phone and unlocks it by turning the screen to face me.

"What?" When they look up frowning from their phones, I glance in between them.

"Imma step back" Dustin creeps to the bed. Sofie shows me my phone and my eyes land on the contact.

Jae<3

"So...Jae gets a special emoticon but I get a simple Malcom" he scowls.

"I didn't mean to" I laugh. "I synced everything from my old phone"

"She has her reasons" Sofie smirks.

"What?..." I look at her suspiciously until she points to the last text message he sent.

Jae<3:
Goodnight beautiful<3
dont forget to turn on your night light

"Every single text message he sends that heart-" Sofie scrolls.

"Okay" I grab it from her. "I get it, I'll change it right now" I squint at the contact, my thumb hovering over it. I frown instantly, knowing I kept the contact the way it was on purpose.