40. once upon a time

~~~~

"I have enrolled this class in volunteering for the school's Christmas party this weekend." Madame informs us.

"This weekend?!" Taron's eyes widen at the news.

"Yes, I suggested all of you to Mrs.Pearce and she's pleased to know the extended French students are partaking a role in the school community." Madame beams. I look around and the majority of the class appear to find the news unpleasant.

"Omg," a few people groan at the last minute event.

"It's an easy 4 hours to your volunteer hours."Madame insists, knowing it will convince a few people and it does.

"What time?" Eva asks.

"Saturday at 1."

Taron turns around in her seat. "You want to come with me?"

"I'll ask my mom." I nod.

Once everyone has settled and ultimately agreed to the plans this weekend, Madame catches all of our attention. "I'll be changing your seats today!"

~

"Ellie, why don't you sit in between...Eva and Jae." Madame looks down at her paper with a smile before glancing at the three of us.

Since it's a week before Christmas break, Madame wants to organize the seating arrangements before then. She also wants to lessen the stress when we come back for the year. For this reason—a new year—she decides to switch it up this time around by grouping us in pairs of three instead.

"Okay," I smile awkwardly as I take my bag and head towards my designated seat. I'm the last to arrive hence, having to sit between Jae and Eva.

As soon as I approach, I already notice the poor mood of Jae. That's why I face Eva and say, "hi."

"Heyy!" She squeals, "I'm finally with you."

"Do I have to sit here?" Jae asks and when he does, I feel my heart plummet. "Why can't I sit with Conrad?"

"I don't think it's a good idea." She shakes her head.

"Why not? I'll be quiet." He sounds desperate and it just offends me even more.

"No you wouldn't." Madame narrows her eyes. "This group is a good balance."

Jae scoffs. I sink into my seat and hide from the stares of my peers. I scoot my seat closer to Eva, finding comfort in her presence and honestly not wanting to piss him off by my own.

"What happened to you?" Eva glares at him.

"Nothing." He crosses his arms and doesn't spare us a glance.

"It doesn't look like it." She mumbles loud enough for him to hear while I awkwardly sit in between them.

"I'm fine Eva." He looks past her. I follow his sight and I'm disappointed to notice that it's directly on Claire—a row beside ours.

"Are you sure? Because you're attitude is quite shitty." Eva argues. I snap my head to her.

"Yes, how many times do I have to say I'm fine." I'm confused by his mood and how everything has changed within a few days.

"Okay that's enough." I block his view of Eva by turning my back towards him. I don't need a quarrel to begin in the middle of class.

"Drop it." I whisper to my friend who gives one last glance.

When we came back from our trip, Jae has been acting distant and rude to his friends, especially me. Most of us don't know the reason. We're all curious to this change. He skips his classes, lunches, and spares. He doesn't openly talk to Conrad and Roman anymore. He ignores us as if we don't exist, and we're starting to worry. He's making it harder for us to understand. There's times like these where he just dumps all of his anger towards us.