56. make a wish

"Ellie are you still scrolling through Instagram?" Sofie asks from the front seat.

I put my phone away before checking the time and seeing that it is now past 8 p.m.

"I was trying to keep my mind off of things" I shrug.

"Out of all the days in the year, why today?" Sofie whines as Malcom drives.

"Thank you next"

"Yuh...YEET"

"My ears are always endangered when I'm around you" Sofie glares at Malcom, who's driving, before lowering the volume.

"You did not disrespect my girl Ari like that" Malcom gasps.

"I'll rather do anything but go to her stupid birthday party" Sofie frustratingly looks out the window. "I have to stay up until midnight just for her real one?!"

"Sofie" I look through the side mirror.

"My bad" she sinks into her seat. "I'm really pissed at the moment"

"Macaroni and cheese! That's a nice house" Malcom remarks as he approaches a two-story modern home with plenty of transparent windows. "I swear I saved a picture on Pinterest like this house"

"Literally To all the boys I've loved before vibes" Malcom ducks his head to get a better view of the roof.

"It's not too late to back out" Sofie says as her and Malcom turns to face me from the front.

"Why are you forcing yourself to go?" Malcom taps the beat of the blaring music from Cassidy's house on the steering wheel.

"I want...confirmation" I glance at the house, where guests continuously enter.

"What is she talking about?" Malcom whispers to Sofie.

"I actually don't know" Sofie says back.

"You know I'm still here" I giggle.

"Ellie I'm more irritated than you are" Sofie groans. "May you tell us why we're here?" 

"I'm trying to move on" I look away from the window. "This is how I'm going to get some clarification"

"She's so mature" Sofie laughs.

"I wish I had that kind of wisdom" Malcom scrunches his nose. "Children I'm a phone call away. Take lots of pictures, make people jealous, and stay safe" he blows each of us a kiss.

"Thank you Malcom" I smile before leaving the car.

As people from Everton and Foothill excitedly join the house after Malcom drives away, I can't help but feel nervous and anxious.

"Shit" Sofie looks around the dark interior house. "Ellie are you okay?" She faces me.

"Yeah, I'm just nervous" I sheepishly smile.

"At least we're not underdressed," Sofie says as she walks down a hallway where the scent of alcohol and marijuana intensifies.

I don't wear dresses.

I was planning on wearing my go-to jeans and cute top today, but I decided to do something different. I suddenly felt confident enough to put on an outfit I'd never worn before. I'm not sure if it's to brag or to make myself look good, but I'm constantly reminding myself to radiate the same energy as this daring outfit choice.

"There are so many Everton kids here" Sofie narrows her eyes.

"Taron and Eva planned the party," I shrug, a shiver running down my spine.