Chapter 9

Lyla

Why does the weekend always pass so quickly? It's already Sunday afternoon and I'm currently at my apartment doing laundry and getting ready to head back to classes tomorrow. I spent all of yesterday hanging out with Megan who refused to leave the apartment. She had her fulfillment of raunchy stripper movies apparently because early yesterday morning she started us in on a marathon of old Bachelorette seasons. Not that I was complaining, I live for that stuff.

So, we spent all of yesterday binging a whole season with her commentary throughout of different variations of 'men suck', 'he's lying to you', 'you'll end up alone', and my favourite 'journey to find love my ass'. I got a few small breaks yesterday when Megan would fall asleep on the couch and I would sneak away to my room to call Shawn.

Even though I really wanted to be next to him, hearing his voice at least gave me a bit of a fix. I could tell he was also wishing we could spend some of the day together, but my amazing boyfriend that he is never mentioned it and instead asked about how Megan was doing and offered to bring us anything we needed.

I pull my clothes out of the dryer and put them into my laundry basket before I carry them back to my room and start folding. Megan finally moved from the couch late last night and went back to sleep in her bed.

This morning we ate breakfast together and she seemed to be in somewhat better spirits. I offered to continue binging Bachelorette with her after breakfast but she let me know she was just going to hang in her room on her own for a bit. I checked on her after lunch and she had been asleep on her bed so I didn't wake her.

I check my phone and it's almost three o'clock. Shawn had an away game this afternoon and it should be ending any minute now. He let me know he would be back around five and he wanted to take me to dinner which I agreed to. What I actually had planned was to head over to the house now and make dinner for him to surprise him when he gets home.

I finish putting the last of my laundry away before I change out of my sweats and into some jean shorts and a plain green t-shirt. I had asked to borrow Megan's truck tonight on Friday and she had agreed, but I hesitate now outside of her room as I knock on her door softly.

"Come in," she calls out.

I open the door and find Megan sitting up at the top of her bed, with her laptop setup in front of her on the mattress. Her eyes look a bit clearer today, like she hasn't cried yet and I welcome the look, happy to see my friend looking more like her usual bubbly self. She looks up at me in her doorway and smiles softly.

"Hey, I was just wondering if it's still okay I borrow your truck tonight?"

"Of course," she answers and smiles sweetly at me, setting my anxiousness at ease.

"Okay, great thank you so much," I tell her as I feel my phone vibrate in my back pocket. "I'm going to head out then, but call me if you need anything and I will rip right home."

"Go and have fun, please," she tells me and I nod my head in response before I leave her room, closing the door behind me.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and read the text from Shawn letting me know he's on the bus on the way back now. I quickly reply letting him know I'm excited to see him tonight before I slide my phone back in my pocket and leave the apartment. I need to stop at the grocery store on the way over to get supplies. I race up and down the aisles until I have everything I need to make Shawn's favourite meal.

When I get to Shawn's house, I load my arms up with the bags of groceries I just picked up and stagger my way up to the door, praying none of these plastic bags rip on me. I may have overdone it on the purchases. How the hell did I buy this much for one meal?

I reach the door and go to open it, finding it locked and I groan out loudly in annoyance. I was sure there would be someone home today. I knock at the door the best I can with my arms full and wait, hoping someone answers and lets me in.

The door swings open a moment later and I'm met by Will who looks surprised to see me, but he quickly notices all the bags weighing down my arms and moves to grab some and lighten my load as I step into the house.

"Thanks," I breathe out as the relief is felt in my arms as soon as he takes the bags from me.

"No problem," he replies kindly as he follows me into the kitchen and we place the bags on the counter. "What are you doing here? Shawn's not home."

"I know," I reply as I turn to face him and offer a smile. "I'm surprising him with dinner when he gets in from his game," I explain excitedly as I gesture with my hands to the bags of groceries.

"That's awesome, I bet he will be surprised," he says as his eyes shift to the bags of groceries then back to me. "Do you need any help?"

"I should be good, but thank you," I reply as I turn to the bags and start to pull everything out.

I see Will leave the kitchen out of the corner of my eye and I get to work on my lasagna. I now I'm already tight on time for having it ready when Shawn walks through the door so I try to keep my mind focused on the task at hand. I quickly put some music on through my phone and start to move around the kitchen.

An hour and half later, I pull the lasagna from the oven, satisfied with the look and smell of it as I place it onto the stovetop. I quickly put the tray of garlic bread into the oven to toast it before I close the door. It's almost five and I internally celebrate that I was able to get everything done before Shawn got home. I hear footsteps and look up to see Will walking into the kitchen.

"It smells incredible in here now," he groans out loudly and I laugh at him.

"Homemade lasagna, nothing beats it," I tell him and he nods along as his eyes stare down the at tray of pasta and I swear I catch him starting to drool.

"My stomach is going to eat itself I think," he says and I laugh again.

"You're welcome to join us for dinner if you'd like," I offer to him. "I made plenty since I knew Shawn would be hungry after his game."

I lean down to peer through the glass door of the oven and check on the garlic toast. It still looks like it needs another minute or two so I leave it and turn back to face Will.

"Are you sure? I don't want to interrupt a date night if you guys want alone time."

"Don't be silly, we can have alone time after dinner," I assure him as I move to the cupboards and pull out plates and a large bowl to mix the Cesar salad in. "I'm not going to make you sit in your room alone and hungry while we are down here eating."

"You're a saint," he praises me and I laugh again and he joins in with me.

"Hey."

I hear Shawn's voice from behind me and I turn to face him in the entryway to the kitchen. He's wearing his grey suit that hugs his muscular arms and broad chest so perfectly. I watch as his eyes shift from me to Will, like he's trying to put the pieces of some puzzle together.

"Hey handsome," I greet him with a hug and a kiss, feeling his body relax under my touch. "How was the game?"

"Good, we won," he responds shortly, but he smiles down at me as he holds me in his arms still.

"Any points?"

"Two assists."

"My superstar," I tease him playfully as I lean up again to kiss him and feel his arms tighten around my lower back, pulling my snugly into his chest.

When our lips part, I can see the heat in his eyes and recognize the look he's giving me immediately, but I remember we have company in the room and that will have to wait for later.

"I made your favourite for dinner," I tell him as he lets me go and I turn to point at the tray of lasagna on the counter.

"You're too good to me," he says and I giggle in response. I hear a timer go off and remember the garlic toast as I move swiftly over to the oven.