Chapter 10

Shawn

I park in front on my house and climb out my car. My whole body aches from the game we just played. The team we were up against is very physical and not afraid to play dirty. I already know I'll have a hell of a bruise on my back left calf from the slash I took in the second period.

Not to mention the bruising along my left ribcage from the dirty cross check I took from their goon. I make my way up to the door, already planning to quickly change and head right back out to go pickup Lyla for our dinner.

When I walk into the house, the first thing that hits me is the mouth watering smell of pasta. The second thing I notice are the voices coming from the kitchen. I recognize Lyla's immediately and feel confused as to why she's here. We had planned to meet at her apartment.

I make my way towards the kitchen and that's when I hear Will's voice and I'm instantly annoyed. Whatever he says has them both laughing as I pause in the entryway and my eyes fall on them. Lyla has her back to me and doesn't notice that I'm there yet so I make my presence known.

"Hey," I say and notice how clipped my tone is even with the one mono syllable word.

Lyla spins around to see me and I watch a smile take over her face as she beams up at me. She is quick to move towards me, closing the space between us as she hugs me, squeezing her arms tightly around my waist and I meet her for a kiss.

She asks me about my game and I answer her questions, all the while keeping one eye on Will who's still standing in the kitchen with us. I'm really wondering why the hell he is still standing there, but hope he takes the hint to leave soon and gives us some privacy.

A timer beeps and Lyla leaves my arms to pulls something out of the oven. I don't miss the way that Will watches her every move as she bends down to pull the tray out which I now realize is holding garlic toast. Lyla then moves quickly towards the fridge, which Will is standing in front of and blocking her. She gestures for him to move and he smiles sheepishly before moving out of the way and I watch his cheeks actually flush at the interaction. I really don't like this kid.

"Alright boys, dish up," Lyla announces proudly as she finishes mixing the Cesar salad.

She steps back from the counter and waits for us to make a move. I notice for the first time the three plates set out on the counter. Great, I guess he's joining us for dinner. I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"Ladies first," Will says as he smiles at Lyla.

"Don't have to tell me twice," Lyla says and she giggles softly and steps forward grabbing a plate.

I wait for her to finish dishing up before I butt in next, not feeling the slightest urge to be polite with Will at this point. I pile up my plate with an obscene amount of lasagna and garlic bread, leaving only a small portion left that most would probably consider a child size serving.

Usually, I don't eat this much after a game and I'm honestly a bit concerned I'll be able to finish everything on my plate, but I'll be damned if I let Will get a full serving of my lasagna. I carry my plate to the table and take the seat next to Lyla, kissing her forehead as I sit down.

"Thanks babe," I say as I glance at her beside me.

"You're welcome," she says with a sweet smile before she turns back to her plate.

Will joins us at the table, sitting across from Lyla. We fall into a somewhat comfortable conversation. Lyla takes the lead with asking me more questions about the game, which I happily answer. All my focus remains on her as I try to ignore the fact that Will is even in the room. When we finish I quickly collect everyone's plates and rinse them in the sink before I put them into the dishwasher.