𝘕𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 12𝘵𝘩

~ ~ ~

Boots crunching along the white blanket of snow, I snuggle into the warm scarf wrapped around my neck

Wiggling my fingers to get rid of the cold stiffness, I sigh in relief as I spot the black car with a gentleman waiting. He is holding a sign with my name on it and I have to stop the grin form forming on my face as the breath leaves my lips in a puff of air.

"Miss Russo?" He asks, stepping forward and taking his hat off. I'm stunned for a moment by his politeness, and instead nod my head. Taking my bags that I had to pack quickly on a whim, he ushers me into the heat of the car.

The ride is calming as we move along smoothly and I take the time to think about everything. I broke up with my boyfriend 2 weeks ago. We had been together for 8 years and I thought he was going to be the one. He had been using my disability to manipulate me throughout the years, and I knew I needed to end things when it impacted my work.

"Are you visiting for work or pleasure?"

My gaze moves from the window as I pick up the sound of him speaking. I wait, hoping he will repeat himself as I look for his mouth in the mirror. I catch enough words to understand and reply, "Work." with a smile. I was born deaf and had the cochlear implant when I was five. My parents wanted to give me the opportunity to communicate with them, listen to music and have the option to choose when I was older.

Once a week we meet up to go to a sign language class and I love that I have that time with them. Growing up was hard, and keeping up with school was even harder. I was having speech therapy multiple times a week, but it didn't stop me from being a target.

The car rumbles beneath me, drawing my attention back to where we are. I gasp at the sight of the village, shops side by side covered in cobblestone. Lights string from one door to another as they twinkle in the darkening sky. Snow is falling, creating a blanket across the roofs, chimneys blowing out smoke from the fires burning within.

I wasn't sure about this once I was sitting on the plane. It all happened suddenly. One moment I was rushing to work and the next my boss was calling me into his office. I thought I was getting fired, my team often leave or push me out of projects, so imagine my surprise when he offered me the opportunity.

It had been the talk of the office for the past week, 'the big deal in Switzerland' and when everyone found out it was me going? This news shocked me, but I didn't stick around to see the fallout between them. I had to pack some bags to be on the next flight to Switzerland.

My worries fade as we leave the small town, the mountains reaching for the cloudy sky. The views take my breath away, my hand reaching for the glass as my breath fogs it up. I look at the gentleman with a smile and point, "So beautiful."