𝘕𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘮𝘣𝘦𝘳 26𝘵𝘩

~~~

"What the hell are you up to Jack?"

Quinn's voice booms from the hallway. I follow cautiously pulling the sleeves of my cozy jumper over my fingers, toe's wriggling from the cold floor.

"Did you know that 4 other people have tried to get this deal done and failed?" I watch his tense back as I come to a stop in the door way of the kitchen. He is facing towards the back where the snowman that we had built was starting to melt.

I lean against a beam wondering if my boss would really mess me over with something like this, I listen out for his answer but I'm unable to catch what he is actually saying.

"What were you fucking thinking? You have no idea how upset she is, giving her false hope is cruel Jack even for you."

The air is tense, my eyes sore from how much I have been crying over the past twenty four hours. Quinn is right, false hope is cruel. It builds you up, holding your hand with each step up you take only to push you down the stairs once you reach the top.

One moment it's hope and the next it's nothing.

The despair I felt yesterday brought up some bad memories, maybe that was why I was more sensitive towards this situation than others might be. What some fail to realise is not having one sense means your others are heightened, emotions are more prevalent as it's how we express ourselves.

I've been told I'm too sensitive over and over again and when that happens your mind starts to conform and believe it, even when it is far from the truth. Even sill I can' help but feel like some of this is my fault, I should've done my own due diligence.

I should've checked over everything before I upped and left the country, my home, my family. I was just so eager to escape from Bryce, I was so excited to finally be getting the opportunity I had been waiting my whole life for. When someone is in charge, of a higher power or rank than you and tells you something we rarely question it, because we believe they know best.

People in power abuse their positions.

We watch it happen everyday, so maybe this is my lesson to questions things, check and make sure what I'm being told or shown is correct.

"Yeah speak soon."

My attention swings back to Quinn as he drops his phone onto the counter. His hands clenched as he holds onto it with his shoulders hunched over. Then he sighs, I can tell by the way his body relaxes a little.

I'm hesitant to ask but I know I need to know, "What did he say?"

He jumps swinging around until his eyes find my figure half hidden by the doorframe, "Bethany, Jesus." A hand moves up to cover his chest.