Chapter 4

I was excited to go to the market the next day because it was my first time visiting a mediaeval market. The market was bustling with activity, including fresh fruits, cattle, and people of all ages. Emma, my handmaid, accompanied me. While looking about, we came across two Arab teens selling fresh flowers and herbs. It was superb. "Look around, my lady, don't be shy," the young Arab said.

"Yes, I'm looking for these ingredients," I said, handing him a scrap of paper.

"Oh, these." I have some of this, but the others are more difficult to obtain. You'll have to travel to Bhrata to get this. "

"Bhrata?" I said

"Yes, it is from the west of Jerusalem; it is a different city, and getting there will take at least three months."

"I see you think you can help me find this item; I desperately need it and am willing to pay any price to get it."

"Well, my lady, we can; we'll go there anyway to get the new item, but how much are you willing to pay?"

"So, how much do you expect it to cost you? " I said

"50 shekels, my lady," the two Arabs exchange glances.

"Well, 50 it is," I said as I handed them the money bag.

"However, may I ask your name? " I asks.

"My name is Alih, and this is my brother Iman," he introduced himself.

It's a pleasure doing business with you. Philippa is my name. "Please transport all of your herbs to Kerak Castle," I said after purchasing all of his herbs and flowers for sale.

"Thank you so much, my lady!" they exclaimed.

Aside from the herbs and flowers I purchased, I also brought other items with me that will aid in my survival during this time. As we approached the castle, we noticed a group of merchants shouting out to the people to sell, but to my disbelief, they were selling humans rather than commodities or animals.

Humans who were captured in the midst of a war and taken by troops to be sold as slaves. I stood in the crowd and watched as they auctioned off the poor man and woman, helpless to intervene. Until they snatched a man, an Arab man, and an auctioneer exclaimed, "Only for 12 shekels!" Nobody desired a tiny guy.

 A horrible screech could be heard throughout the market as he whipped the poor man. The auctioneer laughed as he extended his hand to the audience. I can't stand it any longer; I need to act. I thought to myself as I approached the auctioneer. He was ready to whip the unfortunate man again, but I grabbed his flogging stick before it landed on him.

"Enough!" I yelled angrily.

He was surprised when I held the man's arms.

"Hey, it looks like a knight saving a poor slave man," he continued to laugh.

As I was helping the unfortunate man up, I sneered at him, "If you want the slave, my lady, you have to buy him." As he grasped my shoulder from behind, I smirked and whirled around to hit his face until he was smashed to the ground. It was incredibly satisfying.

As I gazed down at him, he made a horrifying expression at me. I could tell he was already feeling threatened. "Listen, you dirty piece of shit; how dare you touch me with your filthy hands?" I am Lady Phillipa of Antioch, your Lord Raynald of Chatillon's stepdaughter. Do you comprehend the consequences of touching a noble lady?

He was astounded and terrified to hear the name Raynald of Chatillon.

"No?" I asked, bending over to him as he lay on the ground.

" Let me tell you, I can break every limb you have and feed your carcass to the wild creatures in the mountains, and even the mice and insects won't remember to mourn you." Understand? " 

He nodded gently. I gave him a lovely grin. So, how much did it cost? I flung a sack of money at him, which landed on the ground.

As we fled the auction stage, we were given way. As the other villagers joyously attacked the scattered merchant's money. The young man then sobbed and thanked me for saving him. "It's okay, don't cry," I told him. He told us about his background.

He was formerly a trader who became embroiled in a war and was mistaken for a wounded soldier by crusaders, who sold him as a slave to a slave merchant. I asked him his name, to which he calmly answered, "My lady, my name is Abu al-Abbas al-Nabati."

I was taken aback when I heard his name. "Abu al-Abbas al-Nabati? The Abu al-Abbas al-Nabati?"

"Yes, My Lady, I believe that is my name, but you can call me Abu"

I cracked a smile. " My God, I am so fortunate to have met the great Abu "

My lady, how did he become so great? Emma asked

"He was the most well-known Andalusian scientist, botanist, pharmacist, and theologian of his time," I explained. " That's what I've heard from rumours." I nearly forgot I was in the Middle Ages.

"I am delighted to meet you; you are a wonderful person, but how did you become a trader at such a young age?" I asked.

"Well, since I don't have anyone, I need to feed myself," he explained. 

"Alright, I didn't know that I was famous," he said in disbelief.

"So what is your plan?" I asked

"Well, I am your slave; you bought me, right?" "So, dear lady, where are we going?" " He smiled broadly.

I laughed at his gesture and responded, "Home."

As we arrived home, Emma took Abu to his quarters, while I carried all the herbs and flowers I had purchased at the market. We study drug development and other things as pharmacologists. Fortunately, I know how to make handmade soap from herbs and flowers. I was busy with soap-making. Emma walked into my hobby room with Abu, carrying a tray of food.

"My lady, I bought your dinner." Emma carefully placed the tray beside me

"Oh, my lady, I had no idea you could make soap." Abu said while looking at what I had created.

Abu has two large, dark eyes, dark skin, and a skinny physique. Except for his attire, he resembles a modern 16-year-old.

"Well, it's simple," I said.

"So, what will be my job, my lady?' Abu ask

"You are a wonderful botanist, and I learnt a lot from you, so I am proposing a fantastic job for you."

"I never imagined anyone could learn from me."I chuckled. "Our job is to develop a treatment to avoid leprosy complications."

"I'm not sure we can accomplish that; Leprosy is incurable, as everyone knows."

"I know, but we can only prevent what we can avoid, and I feel that the greatest way to prevent the spread of leprosy is early detection and treatment of afflicted patients."

"Well, I suppose we can attempt in the interest of research, but why study Leprosy?"

"There is someone I absolutely need to help in order for me to live freely," I explained.

"Alright fine," Abu responded, "I'll help you in exchange for saving my life."

"Thank you," I said, smiling.