Chapter 8.5

A knight rushes into my chamber to inform me that Lord Roger De Moulin, the Grand Master of the knight hospitaller, has arrived. "Oh... I see.... Tell him to come see me after he settles in," I said. As soon as the knight walked away, he came across William, who was about to enter my bed chamber. "Greetings, my lord," he says, bowing his head and hurrying away.

As I sat in my chair, William approached me and asked, "What's going on?"

"Roger De Moulin, just arrived after his successful conquest," I replied.

"Oh, so the Hellion is back, that friend of yours occasionally gives me headaches," William said as he poured a bottle of wine into his goblet.

yes... As I recall from our time together, my childhood friend is a mischievous individual. He used to get us in trouble when we were at Tyre and under the supervision of William, our teacher.

 He used to get us in trouble when we were at Tyre and under the supervision of William, our teacher

We are completely opposite; he is two years older than I am. He enjoys pulling harmless pranks on our maid Servants, for which I always apologise. He despises studying, whereas I enjoy it; he enjoys roughhousing, whereas I loathe it.

He is a bright person who is well liked by everyone, but I am the opposite because people are afraid of me because of my leprosy. However, he was not. When he found out I had it, he wept for me and we began to cry together, and that's when I knew he was a true friend I could rely on.

We did share the same ambition as children, dreaming of travelling the world together, but some things cannot be changed. When we were younger, I was groomed to be the next king, and he will be my trusted sword. We fought our first battle side by side and emerged victorious.

My people recognised me, and he earned the title of youngest Grand Master of the Knight Hospitaller. He developed into a reliable sword on which I can always rely.

"How long do you expect him to stay? I understand he has a lot on his plate right now as the youngest grand knight ever made," William said.

"Yes, I think he'll stay a little longer." I replied

"I can't believe he managed to become a Grand Master Knight... He was such a pain back then, but now he's a responsible adult," William chuckles.

"I can still be a pain in your arse if you like," a familiar voice replied as William and I turned to face him, and there he was, my old friend Roger, standing on the doorstep.

"How are you, my friend?" he asks as he approaches me and I stand up, and he gives me a brief hug.

" I am doing well.. its good to see you again, my friend " I respond

"I always remind you roger, that's not how you greeted his majesty, he's your king, he's not like someone you can approach that easily," William chastised.

"Lord William, it's good to see you again... and I'm relieved that you miss me so much," he joked as he greeted William.

"I'm glad you're doing well, Lord Roger; I see you haven't changed all that much since the last time I saw you," William remarked sarcastically.

"I'm still as handsome as ever," Roger chuckles.

"Yes.. still a pain," William remarked snarkily.

William's remarks make us both laugh.

" I have a lot of things to do, and I'll leave you two alone," William said as he bid us farewell and left my chamber.

"It's funny how our old teacher didn't change at all," Roger remarked.

" Don't be too hard on him; he's having a bad day today," I said.

"Are you still wearing that mask? You know you can remove it when you're with me," Roger said

"Any strange events on your conquest?" I asked as I removed my mask.

"yes...the caravan routes between Egypt and Syria, there may be cases of plundering because we have received complaints from merchants who use that route, according to them they were harrased by our men under the name of Lord Chatillon,but we will still need more evidence regarding on it, my king," Roger responded..

"I see... find more evidence, I don't want my people suffering under my watch and knowing that someone from my men is using their power to harrass the weak. If you find anything against Lord Chatillon, he will be punished accordingly, even if he is a war hero, as you know the very principle that we are doing this is ut omne malum evellere (to eradicate all evil)," I coldly replied.

" I understood my king, as your loyal sword, I swear I will do everything in my power to achieve our goal," Roger said as he kneeled before me.

"Raised, my good friend... you have my gratitude for your loyalty to the crown and to my people, and that alone demonstrates your worth," I say as I pat him on the shoulder.

"Thank you, your grace," he says as he stands up.

"It's been a while since we had a proper conversation," I say, smiling.

"What do you want to know, old friend?" he asked.

"When are you getting married?" I asked.

"I swear, don't start with me on that," Roger laughs.

"Why... I was hoping you'd marry and have a family one day."

"I'm still looking for the one," Roger replied.

"The one... seriously... I've always seen you courting maidens like Lady Anna of Cleves and Lady Irene of Courtenay, and I heard you're trying to woo the princess of Persia," I said as I handed him a goblet of wine.

 I've always seen you courting maidens like Lady Anna of Cleves and Lady Irene of Courtenay, and I heard you're trying to woo the princess of Persia," I said as I handed him a goblet of wine

"You really know me well, Baldwin, and I am flattered. Yes, these ladies captivated my poor heart with their beauty and charm, but I can't seem to find a perfect soul mate on those lovely ladies.... And for the Persian princess, she was very lovely, but that's all," rogers said as he accepted the goblet of wine.

"Really... all this time you've been the same man, who enjoys playing with those poor unfortunate ladies' hearts, you should know, someday you'll meet your match," I warned Roger.

"Well, maybe I just need to wait... but there was one lady I saw earlier who was the most beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on," he smiled.

"hmm .. another poor victim... stop doing that and just find a good woman to marry, and if you ever find her tell me because I will do everything in power for you two get married " I said confidently

"I'll count on it, my king," chuckles Roger.

"well... enough about me... when are you going to settle down... and find a good queen?" Roger inquired.

"It's impossible for me... to find and wish for such... with this disease. You of all people should know that I can't marry, but I wish you could in my place." I smiled at him.

"Nothing is impossible, my friend... I will always hope and wish for you to find someone," Roger said as he raised his goblet of wine.

As we tossed goblets, I said, "Well... I raised my cup for that."