Chapter 18.5

It was the same nightmare... But this one was different; it felt genuine... I was walking aimlessly... It was extremely dark. Someone familiar took my hand... She was the same child from my previous dream; she is pale, with long thick black hair pulled back in a fishtail braid and dressed in a white satin gown.

Where are we going?" I enquire, and she did not respond, instead pointing outside. Then it became extremely cold... Then there's a strong gust of wind... Then I found myself standing outside a castle, everything covered in heavy snow.

There was a thin child with unkempt hair as black as midnight, she is small and fragile, with dried cracked lips and bruises all over her small body, but she appears to be having fun building a snowman. But her face is so familiar to me that I can't say anything. There was no voice coming out...

Then a middle-aged woman, tall, slender, and pale with golden blond hair, appears and yells " Philippa!! " as she smacks the poor child, and I realise that little girl was none other than Philippa herself, it is her childhood. I was astounded by how she was treated. Who is this lady?

"I told you not to go outside!! Are you going to humiliate me!" she yells at her.

"I-i am sorry, m-mother.. I was just... wanted to play," she sobbed, her voice weak.

"Play?! do you know we have a visitor! and yet you dare to disobey me!" she snarled as she grabbed Philippa by the hair as she screamed in pain and fear, I tried to run and stop her but I couldn't move as if paralysed.

Then I found myself in a room with scattered broken toys, a children's bedroom, and Little Philippa playing in the corner with a broken doll. she was humming as she continue playing then the door opens a black haired boy, came in with a sinister smile on his face.

Philippa cowered in fear as she looked at him, "b-brother..." without saying anything, he quickly approached her, grabbed her doll, and broke it in front of her, "p-please stop!! " she pleaded.

"Mother told me you disobeyed her... this is your punishment," he said coldly

She stood up and attempted to reclaim her doll, but she was pushed down, and her mother appeared at the door. "Bohemond... dear, please finish your playing, I need to go somewhere," their mother said coldly.

I witnessed them abusing and torturing her repeatedly, but there is nothing I can do... I felt the excruciating pain as the lashes touched her weak body, it hurt and burned, and I began to cry as I felt her pain and agony. It was just too much to bear... Her scream echoed until she had nothing left... Her mother and brother despised her for no apparent reason. It was unjust.

Then a sudden urge from Philippa's memory returned, making it difficult to breathe as the pain caused me to throw up and kneel to the ground.

Then her mother appeared in front of me, looking down at me with a horrifying grin on her face.

Baldwin POV:

It was a quiet night, and after accompanying Lady Philippa to her room earlier, I decided to finish another task. However, time flew by and I noticed it was already dawn when Aimery arrived to inform me that it was time for me to rest.

I decided to call it a day and he accompanied me back to my bedroom chamber, passing by Philippa's bedroom

"Your Majesty, is everything all right?" Aimery inquired as I approached her bedroom door.

"nothing" as I continued walking, it was awfully quiet until I heard Lady Philippa scream in agony, at which point I dashed to her bedroom chamber, followed by aimery behind me.

when I opened her bedroom chamber I was stunned to see her in her state.

The once proud and courageous lady cowered in terror, weeping and hiding behind her bedroom table... She was shanking...I saw her vulnerability for the first time.

I saw her vulnerability for the first time

"My lady... what happened?" I inquire as I approach her.

"Please... stay backkk..." she begged.

Aimery looked around, but there was no sign of an intruder, so I looked at him and motioned for him to leave, which he did.

"It's fine... could you please tell me what happened?" I gently kneel down.

"I-iam scared," she sobbed as she continued to cry.

"Of what?" I inquired.

"I had a bad dream... it's all coming back... and it scares me," she said, wiping away her tears.

She must have dreamed that horrible man who tried to hurt her "it's ok... everything will be fine.. trust me... here take my hand.." as I extended my hand...

She reluctantly reaches for my hand and I assist her in standing up, but she was frail as she was about to stumble, so I held her to keep her from falling. She is still trembling, so I decided to carry her to her bed, she was as light as a feather.

I tucked her into bed and wrapped her in a blanket to keep her warm. I asked, "Would you like to talk about it?" She quietly shakes her head.

She must be terrified, and I can't stand watching her like this, even though I've already killed that man; her harrowing experience will not go away, and I'm partly to blame. I reflected.

"I promised you that whatever you saw was just a nightmare; it's not real," I reassure her.

"It's real," she said, trying not to cry, "it's a painful memory...the abuse I've been through..." she added.

It broke my heart to see her in pain. "Listen to me, he will not hurt you again," I said as I clasped her hands.

finally she calm down, and was prepare to go back to sleep again. "Sleep well... if you need anything, call me," I said as I stood up and prepared to leave when she reached for my robe.

"Please don't leave," she begged.

"I - I don't want to be left alone... I'm afraid," she said as I looked at her.

"My lady..." I said, worriedly looking at her.

"Please," she begged. "Can you stay by my side until I fall asleep?" she asked.

"Alright... I'll stay until you fall asleep," I say.

I sat beside her as she tried to sleep.

"Baldwin," she says as she lies on her side and looks at me.

"yes " I asked

"You can remove your mask " she suggested.

"Why?" I asked

"so that you can be at ease... Your wound has already begun to heal. " she said as she closed her eyes slowly.

"A-alright," I thought, it appears that I can't refuse her request. as I took off my silver mask

"Can I hold your hand? It'll help me sleep," she inquired.

I gave her my hand without saying anything, and she held it as she fell asleep.

"You're very warm," she murmurs, her tears still forming on her lashes.

"Trust me, I'll be right here the whole time," I reassured her as I gently patted her head.

The morning dawn passed as Baldwin was unaware that he had also fallen asleep beside Lady Philippa, as she slowly cuddled into his chest, accepted her embrace, and cuddled her back, and both fell deeply asleep.