Chapter 31

Roger dashed across the castle hall, completely unaware that he was passing Philippa, who was on her way to greet her Ladies in Waiting. When the young Queen called him "Ser Roger!" he was surprised to see her standing in front of him. She had gotten even more beautiful since the last time he had seen her.

He was so enthralled that he didn't say anything while he stared at her. But then he remembered she was married. She now belongs to someone else, to the King, to a close friend, to the man he regards as his own brother. He reflected to himself. As he gazed into her enticing hazel eyes and envy seeped into his heart.

"Ser, Roger it's been awhile..." Philippa greeted him

"Yes.. it's been a while," he said immediately, "how was it?" she inquired.

"How was what?" Roger inquired.

"Your adventure? Silly... " Philippa smiled. "I've heard you saved a caravan of merchants."

"It was nothing special," he said coldly, his eyes averted.

"Is there a problem, my lord?" Philippa inquired, but Roger remained mute. "I was hoping you would come in and visit my workroom, you promised to provide results on the filtered water that I gave you before your journey, but you seem to have forgotten," she said.

"No.. I didn't, my lady, or should I say your majesty," he said sharply.

She stood in front of him, surprised, but composed, smiling, "so... you heard..."

"Actually, no... I just found out today that you are now our new queen," he replied coldly as Philippa took a step back as he steadily approached her.

"I - Iam... but I am still the lady, you know, nothing has changed," Philippa stated uncomfortably.

"Really... how sly of you..." he mumbled.

Philippa asked, "w-what?" as he cornered her in the wall.

"You might have fooled the king with your sweet lie, but you can't fool me... " Roger stated as he moved his face closer to her.

"How dare you," Philippa exclaimed going to slap him, but he effortlessly grabbed her petite arms, pinning her to the wall.

"save your story, I know you are sent by your brother, Bohemond, to harm the King, and I will not allow it."

"Your wrong, I will never deceive him, I care for him, and you know nothing about me," Philippa responded.

" Tell me what you and your family have planned," Roger urged, clutching Philippa's arm tightly.

"I am not with Bohemond, and I assure you that I will do nothing to harm his majesty, and I don't care if you don't believe me... " Philippa snarled.

"Your lying! and I warn you, don't you dare hurt him, or else I won't sit by," Roger murmured quietly into Philippa's ear.

Philippa glared at him angrily, "Let go of me..."

"Why... are you afraid?" Roger chuckles devilishly.

"No... your wrong... you should be afraid of me," Philippa stated emphatically as she released her hands from Roger's grip.

Before Roger could say anything, his eminence William appeared. " Roger?" he asked. As the two of them stare at him.

"What exactly is going on here?" William inquired.

"nothing," Roger replied quickly as Philippa dashed behind William.

"I just stopped by to congratulate Her Majesty," Roger explained.

"I see... your highness, we have to leave now, your ladies-in-waiting, awaits," William explained.