Chapter 60

As the sun rose over the battlefield, Queen Philippa led her army of skilled knights against the Saracen forces. The air was thick with tension as the two opposing forces faced each other.

"Protect the King!" Philippa commanded, and her knights rallied up, forming a defensive perimeter. The clash of steel against steel, the thundering hooves, and the battle cries blended into a cacophony that echoed through the night.

The battle commenced with a fierce exchange of arrows between the archers of both sides. Philippa, mounted on her horse, charged straight into the heart of the Saracen army, her sword, gleaming in the sunlight. Her knights followed suit, their armor clanking as they fought with unwavering determination.

Philippa, skillfully wielding her sword, fought with a ferocity that surprised even the most seasoned Saracen warriors. Her arrival injected a renewed vigor into the Franks, turning the tide of the skirmish. The Saracen forces, initially confident in their pursuit, now faced a formidable opponent in the Queen of Jerusalem.

Philippa observed a troop of Saracen archers attempting to flank Baldwin's group. Without hesitation, she charged towards them, her blade gleaming in the air. As she approached the group, she successfully disarmed the lead archer and used his weapon against him, impaling him with his own arrow.

Upon seeing Philippa's valiant actions, Baldwin's feverish face paled even further. His heart raced as he tried to sit up, his soldiers quickly restraining him for his own safety. The gravity of the situation dawned upon him - his wife, the queen, had ventured into the heart of the battle, putting herself in harm's way to protect him.

Baldwin attempted to stand up, but Aimery remarked, "Your Majesty, please...you have fought enough..."

"But... Philippa..." Baldwin responded. "you don't have worry to her majesty, I'll stay behind to make sure she is fine"

A flood of emotions poured over Baldwin. He felt a surge of pride as he realised the depth of his wife's devotion. He felt enormous gratitude for Philippa, knowing that her acts had not only saved his life but also bolstered the morale of their troops.

However, he was soon overshadowed by worry. As the king, Baldwin was responsible for the safety of his people and his kingdom. Seeing his wife risk her life in the battlefield filled him with apprehension for her well-being. He feared for the day when their roles would be reversed, and she would have to face such perils without him by her side.

Baldwin and Philippa's gazes connected, but it was not the appropriate time or place for them to speak. Instead, she asked Aimery and the rest of the knights to transport Baldwin to a temporary tent across the Jordan River, where she would hold the fort alongside the rest of the garrison.

Despite his concerns, Baldwin found strength in his wife's actions. He vowed to recover from his illness and return to the battlefield by her side, determined to stand by her and protect her as she had done for him.

It was his first time witnessing a lady, a noble lady no less, nurtured by nuns, whose soul was soft as spring, transform into a vicious lioness in the heat of combat. He knew his queen was not like the other maidens from the moment he laid eyes on her.

She is clever and not hesitant to express her opinions. She also had an unstable and fierce heart. Despite this, Baldwin's gaze never leaves Philippa, and once more he was drawn to her. His Queen... His equal...

Abu rushes over to Baldwin, "You have to hurry... Omar... my lady hands this to me, give it to the King," as he shows medicines to Omar.

Omar nodded, and Abu hurriedly handed him the medicine before mounting his horse. "Where are you going? " Omar asked, "I need to do something, My lady's command," and he dashed away.