Chapter: Three

"In my dream, Leila..."

"What about Leila?"

"She was dead."

It was clear that her husband would not send her to the North alone for no reason. That's why she lied and acted so coldly. She hoped his dearly loved friend would forgive her for this much.
Actually, what she wanted to ask was simple.
Do you even love me?'

The man in front of her was the only one who could answer this question. It was so cruel. If she could have found out by asking someone else, she would have asked many times.

Chloe couldn't easily ask anything because Gerard was the most difficult person; she loved him the most. Even now, when she saw that friendly face, she wanted to forget everything in fear of losing her sweet dream.

Maybe Chloe, who hadn't been told she was loved since their wedding, didn't even know she was even qualified to ask that question.

In the end, Chloe had no choice but to choose the long way instead of the short way.

"I have to go North! I'm worried, so I have to see with my own eyes if she's okay. Send me..."

She tried hard not to cry, but it didn't go as she wanted. At last, her words were mixed with tears.

Was it because she was upset that she couldn't even do this on her own? Tears started pouring down. Contrary to the tears that flowed endlessly, Chloe's lips tightened as a last ditch effort to save her pride.

She didn't know that it made her look more pitiful.

" My Lady, are you calming down now?"

Chloe nodded her head, and Gerard handed her the glass of water once more. He was worried that she might die crying like this.

Was he crazy if he felt anxious because he didn't want to waste his wife's tears?

"Oh, yes."

Chloe let go of her held breath and took the glass from Gerard.

Gerard, who was gently patting Chloe's back, asked again.

"Dream... you mean?"

"Yes."

Come to think of it, he heard from Leila a long time ago that his wife had precognitive dreams. Gerard recalled a story that had been tethered to a distant memory.

After marriage, his wife didn't say anything related to those dreams, so he forgot.

"You saw Leila die in that dream."

"Yes, I have to go. Please send me there!"

"...My Lady, I know you were very surprised by the scary dream. Are you worried about Leila?"

"..."

Gerard calmly comforted Chloe.

"By the way, do you think you'll be able to go all the way to the North by yourself? Why don't you send a letter telling her to be careful?"

In fact, his words were opposed to Chloe going North. Gerard had always respected his wife's decisions, but this time her decision felt too impulsive.

No matter how ominous, a dream was just a dream, so he couldn't understand why she decided to go to the North.

Gerard picked his words with the utmost care, in case his wife was offended.

But Chloe was dissatisfied with her husband's words, which sounded like he was comforting a child startled by nightmares. It felt like he didn't trust her.