Chapter Thirty 6 : The Despairing Side Of The Fight Between Married Couple (9)

Gerard peeked into every terrace and lounge despite knowing it was impolite. What in the world was he trying to do? He wondered what he would do if he found out that Frederick and Leila were alone.

He didn't know. However, he had to find them. Pathetic self hatred engulfed his whole body, but he couldn't stop.

Gerard headed outdoors. Entering the garden to the side of the banquet hall, he spotted two people standing in the distance.

It was dark, but he could recognize them. It was Leila and Frederick.

Leila was the only woman wearing such an extraordinary dress. And Gerard could bet his entire fortune that the tall man beside her was Frederick.

Frederick's thick arms hugged Leila's slender waist. Leila had her face buried in Frederick's broad chest. The two people seemed to be engaged in a pleasant conversation, but he couldn't hear them at such a distance.

"Today, you..."

"Oh my, really..."

"Hahaha!"

However, the warm wind carried snippets of their conversation his way.

Although he had expected it, it was different to confirm it with his own eyes and ears. It came as a shock to him. Gerard's composure was hit by a strong storm.

At that moment, Leila and Frederick kissed.

"!"

Gerard turned around right away. He didn't want to taint another person's beautiful moment. Gerard left the scene as if he were running away.

He felt like he was going crazy at the thought of his person being taken away. He had to get her back somehow. He didn't know if it was possessiveness, obsession, jealousy, love, or a mix of them all.

Returning to the ballroom, Gerard notified his partner that he would return.

"I'm not feeling well, so I think I should go home now. I'm sorry, young Lady."

"...Don't mind me. Go ahead and return."

Chloe's face was covered by a faint shadow as she said so, but Gerard didn't notice it.

***

After leaving the ballroom, Gerard didn't head home. He headed straight to Viscount Stein's residence.

He occupied the drawing room of Stein mansion and waited for Leila to return. Normally, he wouldn't have visited the mansion of another family so late at night, but today was an exception.

"Huh? Gerard. You didn't go home? What are you doing here..."

"Marry me."

He made a proposal to Leila without hesitation upon her arrival. It was strange, but Gerard thought that it was for the best at that time.

"...What?"

"Let's get married. I'll send a proposal to Viscount Stein tomorrow morning-"

"Stop it. You must be drunk. Let's talk later."

Leila dismissed Gerard's words as nothing but a mere jest.

"No, I'm not drunk. I'm losing my mind, so please listen to me, Leila. Marry me."

"Gerard, stop it."

A gritting sound slipped out through Gerard's teeth.

"Why? Because of that Anata guy?"

He asked in a growling voice.

"It's not just because of Derick..."

"Don't call him Derick!"