Chapter: Six

"Excuse me, General. Why are you still at work? You didn't leave as soon as your shift ended."

"...Why would I work overtime? I'm doing it because I have a lot of work."

It was a lame excuse. When he was in the Capital, he went to work every day, but when he was not, he went to work a few times a week and left early in the afternoon.

Anton didn't know if he should say it was a relief because the Blanchett Territory and the Capital were close, or fortunate because he had an honorary position, not a working position. As such, there was no overtime in Gerard Blanchett's life.

"Oh, please be sincere in your excuses. No matter how much work you usually have, you pack it all up and go home. Ah! By any chance... Did you fight with the Marchioness?"

Anton came to the wrong conclusion because the Blanchett family kept the Marchioness' departure a secret.

"..."

Gerard looked bewildered at Anton's absurd speculation.

"I'm right, aren't I? The reason why you don't want to go home is that you fought with Madame or you are going to fight with Madame soon. Isn't it one of those two?"

Anton, who had been married for three years, spoke confidently as if he knew the answer.

"No. My wife and I have never fought, and we will not fight in the future."

"Aye! Is that possible? This should be either your first or second fight. If not, you're only playing house."

Anton, who was less sensible than his sword skills, was sad. He stopped talking only when Gerard glared at him.

"I mean...! No, there are no people like the General and the Marchioness who are a model couple. Haha. I made a mistake for a moment. Oh, I'm such a !"

Anton pretended to slap himself on the side of the head. But Gerard's eyes were already frosty.

"Seeing that your snout is so free-spirited, have I been too soft-hearted? You will come to your senses once you experience the consequences of your tongue. Gather all the Knights at the training ground tomorrow morning. Make it clear that it is because of you."

"But, Boss..."

Anton pleaded with Gerard pitifully, but Gerard pointed to the door.

"Get out."

After kicking Anton out, Gerard tried to concentrate on the papers again. However, a phrase Anton used kept hovering in his head.

'Playing house.'

It was a phrase that could have been passed casually, but Gerard somehow didn't get the word stuck in his throat. There was nothing wrong between him and his wife.

To Gerard, who was thinking about it, it was something he had no idea about.

★★★

As Leila promised, dinner was excellent. It was full of ingredients and unfamiliar Northern dishes that could not be obtained in the Capital.

"Abel, try this, too."

Chloe said, adding some reindeer steak to Abel's plate.

It was an opportunity for Abel to have access to a variety of foods, so she was rather satisfied. She wanted to introduce him to as many foods as possible since food preferences were set in childhood.

"Yes, mother. You eat a lot, too."

Abel swallowed the smoked salmon in his mouth and said with a loving smile. His table manners were excellent.