Chapter Fifty five: The Beginning Of Their Feelings (6)

Daniel Blanchett was gone. It an accident in which his carriage slipped on the snow.

"..."

Gerard looked at his father's face; the man's eyes were closed. His father, who was laid there neatly and surrounded by lilies, looked very comfortable. He looked more peaceful than ever.

"Huhu..."

Helena covered her mouth with a handkerchief and wept beside Gerard. His mother was unexpectedly crying. She must have felt bad for her husband.

Gerard, on the other hand, remained expressionless. He didn't know how to feel.

'This is not real.'

He came to the Capital to confirm his father's death directly, but he couldn't accept the reality despite having seen it with his own eyes.

A long line of mourners visited Daniel at his funeral. The Emperor and his wife, the Archduke, Imperial nobles, the remaining line of Blanchett, and the Duke of Norbert.

Perhaps he came because he felt sorry for Daniel Blanchett's death. Or, did he come to deepen his relationship with the next Marquis? He couldn't understand what they were thinking, but there were indeed many people who honored Daniel's life at his funeral.

"Gerard."

Owen, who also attended the funeral, walked up to Gerard.

"His Majesty the Emperor, the eternal sun of the Hernia Empire."

Gerard greeted Owen politely.

"It's an honor that you attended despite your tight schedule."

"Of course I'm attending. I'm sorry the late Marquis died so suddenly."

Owen asked, his eyebrows taut.

"How are you feeling?"

"...I'm fine."

Asked if he was OK, Gerard Blanchett's answer was set. What would he do if he was not fine?

"Phew, it's alright to say that you're not fine. It must have been such a surprise to you when you heard the news at the border."

Owen said again, patting Gerard on the shoulder a couple of times.

"You've stayed long enough there, so you can return to the Capital now."

"..."

"You have to inherit the title of Marquis as well."

Gerard didn't answer Owen, who told him to return. He didn't confirm that he would return to the Capital or settle on the border. He suddenly couldn't make up his mind. It was strange.

At the end of the line of mourners, a carriage with a swan pattern entered the Blanchett residence. It was the carriage of the Roem family. The Roem family had just resumed their social activities after Karina's nuptial ceremony.

Gerard began to feel nervous the moment he recognized the pattern on the carriage.

A noble lady dressed in black with neatly braided brown hair gracefully got out of the carriage while being escorted.

It was Chloe Roem, whom he got to see after 4 months.

Was it his imagination that her blue eyes seemed prettier? He was anxious to look at Chloe, as if she wasn't supposed to be seen.

"!"

Gerard and Chloe's eyes met for a moment. He avoided her gaze out of reflex. He didn't understand why he avoided Chloe, even though she was the one who avoided him.