Chapter Fourteen: Wild Apricot Vs. Empty Vessels (3)

The carriage ride back was filled with an awkward and silent atmosphere. The sound of children's breathing because they were tired from playing all day long was the only thing filling the silence.

Chloe fixed her eyes out the window. It was a wordless act that indicated she didn't want to see Leila.

"I... Chloe."

Leila called her friend carefully.

However, Chloe didn't turn her head or answer, as if she couldn't hear Leila.

"I'm... I'm really sorry. I'm so sorry."

"..."

"To me, you're... a very precious friend, so I didn't want our friendship to end even after I left to get married. I thought you were thinking the same thing as me..."

Leila sounded like she was going to cry at any moment. She must have spent time on her own thinking after Chloe left the tent, so she apologized sincerely now.

"..."

"I hurt you because of my greed... I'm really sorry. Will you forgive me?"

Leila was crying without realizing it. Tears were streaming down her face and her lips were trembling. If someone saw it, it would have been a heartbreaking view.

"Sigh..."

Actually, Chloe had been crying whenever she had time, but she wasn't the type who usually cried a lot. Being hurt in many ways, she realized at an early age that crying didn't solve the problem. Rather, tears were a symbol of weakness.

That's why Chloe grew up to be an adult who could hold back her tears. Was that the reason? Her tears that she showed in front of others were interpreted differently.

For Chloe, tears were the same as revealing her fragile side.

Chloe was naturally weak towards tearful people because it was human nature to understand their sorrow from her point of view. Especially if it was the tears of someone she believed to be her best friend. She finally looked at Leila and spoke.

"I understand what you're trying to say. But I can't forgive you right now."

It didn't mean that she had forgiven Leila's fault.

"...I'll be waiting. I'll wait until your anger subsides, is that fine?"

Leila's tears spilled out even more as if she were shocked. Her once sweet friend had turned so cold toward her.

"Sigh... Whatever."

Chloe took a deep sigh and handed over a handkerchief. Leila shed even more tears because it was as if Chloe had returned to the person she knew.

However, unlike her warm behavior, Chloe's heart was still cold. In fact, she didn't care if Leila waited for her forgiveness.

After their return to the Blanchett estate, she was going to stay away from Leila.

***

That night, Chloe talked to Abel before falling asleep.

"Did you have fun today, Abel?"

"Yes! I had so much fun."

Chloe's throbbing heart seemed to calm down after seeing Abel's smile.

"My son learned how to skate quickly."

"But I fell down many times."

Abel showed his little hand to his mother and made a childish expression. She spotted small scratches from when he fell on the ice earlier.