Lighthouse Empire Arc, Episode 3

Act 2

Lunya and Aiku are quickly taken below deck by the Black Sail crewmen, still aimlessly struggling beneath the weight of the sea stone nets. Aiku tries desperately to break free, but her strength has vanished. The crew laugh as they drag them into a dark room at the aft of the ship. When brought inside, they are tossed into a small prison cell callously. Their hands are cuffed behind their backs with sea stone bindings, and then they're removed from the nets hastily. As Aiku is freed, she delivers one swift kick to the side of a crewman's face with the very last of her strength, causing the man to throw her against the wall angrily. 

One of the officers runs to stop him. "No! They are to remain unharmed for now. Just leave them."

Another crewman steps beside him with a menacing grin. "Yeah, don't worry. They'll be suffering soon enough."

Satisfied with their actions, the crewmen laugh and exit the room, leaving Aiku and Lunya in dim, desolate silence.

Aiku sits up and leans her back against the cold wall, recovering from the affects of the sea stone nets. She takes a deep breath as life returns to her, centering her emotions and adjusting to reality again. She looks to Lunya, who is sitting silently, hunched forward on her knees, stricken with grief. "Lunya-- " She says gently.

"Why. Why, Aiku." Lunya snaps, her watery eyes focused on the steel floor.

Aiku's expression changes from exhausted to frustrated instantly. "I came to rescue you! What do you even think you're doing?"

Lunya looks to her. "I specifically told you not to follow me!"

"But that's what we don't understand! Why would you run away? We can help you--"

"No! You can't help me through this." 

Aiku is quiet for a moment, studying Lunya's grave expression. "But why? I don't understand."

"I don't want you to."

"I want to!"

"No, you don't. Trust me. This is something I felt I must do alone."

Aiku ponders the notion. "I understand. That's exactly how I felt when I came to rescue you..."

Lunya's expression softens. "You're too young, Aiku. You've made a dire mistake by coming to my aide."

Aiku grows angry. "No I haven't! I can do things on my own."

"That's exactly what I'm taking about! Such decisions are immature."

"I could say the same about you!" Aiku counters.

Lunya holds her tongue and pauses to think. "I suppose that could be so. But it still doesn't explain why you would choose to come here all alone. Sky has always been there for you--"

"That's exactly my point!" Aiku interrupts. She turns her trembling eyes toward the floor. "He's always been there for me. And I've never been there for him." Lunya begins to understand. Aiku closes her eyes and lets a tear slide out. "All his life, my brother has done nothing but take care of me. All of his time was devoted to my safety, my well being, my life. It's not fair anymore. I just wanted to do something for him. Just once, so I could prove myself."

Lunya looks to her. "But Aiku, that's not--"

"Don't tell me it's not worth it!" She faces Lunya tearfully. "It is. To me it is."

Lunya searches for the right words, but finds none. She relents and adopts a warmer expression. A weak smile crosses her lips. "I understand, Aiku. Thank you."