Lighthouse Empire Arc, Episode 6

The Tragedy of Plum Island. A Mother's Final Wish.

As the dark of midnight settles over Plum Island, Faye, Dani and Aiku emerge from their home cautiously, looking in all direction as they silently make their way down the forested path. Only a few light bags of items and supplies with them, Faye guards her children they make their way onto the crest of the beach. In the distance, Faye can see the large medical ship setting anchor just off the coast, with several smaller ships being lowered from the sides, filled to the brim with marines.   

She pauses for a moment to gain a better perspective. Then she looks down the coastline, spotting the island's lighthouse in the distance. 

She kneels down to Dani and places her hand on the back of his neck firmly. "Dani, I want you to take Aiku and go hide in the lighthouse, okay?"

Aiku jumps toward her. "Mommy, no!"

"But why? Where are you going?" Dani wonders anxiously. 

Faye looks to the beach. "I'm going to try and distract them. If I can lead them away, we'll have plenty of time to escape."

"Mom, please, I don't think this is a good--"

Faye grips him tightly. "Dani, we don't have any time left! Take her and go. I will be there, I promise."

Dani looks into his mother's eyes. He knows the situation is desperate, but he can sense her trust. "...Okay, I will."

"Stay out of sight! Stay off the path and close to the tree line."

Aiku pulls Dani's shirt. "No!"

Faye leans toward Aiku and grabs her face. "I'll be there, don't worry!" She kisses her daughters forehead, then pushes Dani forward. "Now go--hurry!"

Dani nods and takes Aiku's hand. They run forward and disappear into the night. Faye watches them for a moment, quietly praying that this will not be the last time she sees them. When they are out of sight, she turns and runs toward the beach.

As the marines arrive on the shore line, they hop out of their boats and jog into the town. Each squad leader takes their group around to the first houses they see, waking the residents and showing them the picture of Aiku. Meanwhile, Fukitsu, who is personally overseeing the operation, makes his way directly to Faye's home.

When he arrives, he is surprised to see the door left ajar. He walks inside slowly and gazes around the room, noticing a few items strewn about, as if someone had packed and departed in a hurry. He motions to the soldiers behind him, who rush in and begin searching the home. Fukitsu returns to the front doorstep and looks out over the town.

Just then, Tydus comes running up the path accompanied by his friend. He stops in front of Fukitsu and studies his appearance. "Who are you?"

Fukitsu turns to them and place his hands behind his back. "I am Senior Chief Fukitsu. Have you either of you seen this girl?" He takes the photo of Aiku from his pocket and holds it in front of them. 

Tydus immediately recognizes her. "That's Faye's daughter, Aiku."

"Correct. Do you know where she is?"

Tydus glances down the hill at the rest of the town. He can see several marines encircling homes and interrogating people. He turns back to Fukitsu. "What's going on here?!" He inquires. 

"A basic search and rescue operation. She's a runaway." He responds coldly. 

"Why? What's happening?"