Lighthouse Empire Arc, Episode 4

10 years ago, on a distant island in the North Blue, there was a special scientific laboratory operated by the World Government, and guarded by the Navy, called Plum Island. It was uniquely triangular in shape, and was once and tourist destination known for it's black sand beaches and delicious, rare plums, which only grow in this part of the world. Two decades ago, it was commandeered by the government, and utilized as a secret laboratory for Vegapunk's remote scientists. 

Since that time, the 100 thousand citizens of the island have lived in peace, with many finding new jobs and secure futures working for the Navy. Yet underneath the mask of this secret facility, some often suspected a more sinister energy, and only time would tell if they were correct...

Inside one of the underground wings of the Plum Island laboratory, a 7 year old Aiku sits on an examination table, as three doctors surround her. One holds her eye open and shines a small flashlight onto her pupils. He places the light down and smiles at her. "Okay, Aiku. We're almost done. Just need to get another blood sample next, okay?"

Young Aiku is nervous, and timidly looks away. "...Okay." 

Another doctor comes beside her and injects a needle gun into her arm, drawing a single vial of blood. He pops the vial out of the gun and holds it up to the light, then places it in another machine, which begins to spin in circles.  

"Okay, Aiku, that's all we need for today!" The doctor declares cheerfully. 

"All done?" Aiku asks. 

"All done. And do you know what you get for being so brave?" The doctor removes a bright pink candy bag from his pocket. "Your favorite--cotton candy chewies!"

Aiku's face lifts in happiness and she smiles brightly. "Yay!"

Soon after, Aiku's mother enters the room. She is tall, beautiful and attractively dressed, grinning warmly with smiling eyes. "Ready to go, Aiku?"

The doctors look to her and welcome her in. "Hello, Faye!" One greets. "She's all yours."

Moments later, Aiku and her mother hold hands as they walk down a forested path leading away from the facility. The sun shines overhead, as butterflies and birds dart through the trees around them. Aiku chews her snacks joyfully and hums a tune to herself. 

Faye looks down to her and smiles. "How did your appointment go today?"

"Okay." Aiku replies.

 "Are the doctors still treating you nice?"

"Yeah, all of them are really nice to me!"

"I can see that! You even got your favorite treat again."

"Uh huh! It's my favorite part." Then another thought enters her mind. Her expression changes to worry. "Mommy..."

"Yes?"

"How much longer do I have to keep going back there?"

Faye squeezes her hand playfully. "Not much longer. Only a few more visits."

Aiku looks to her. "But I thought you said it was only one more!"

Faye frowns. "I know, I'm sorry. But sometimes doctors can be unpredictable. It all depends on what they need."

Aiku sighs. "I don't get it..."

Faye stops her and kneels in front of her. "Aiku--I know it's hard. I understand you feel scared sometimes. But you are the bravest girl I know!" She places her fingers under Aiku's chin to lift her face. "Will you continue to be brave for me?"