dancing with a stranger

Jack

About two weeks before the ball, I had asked our childhood friend Olivia to come to the ball with me. I needed someone on my arm so I wouldn't look weird next to the guys. They would never let me live it down if I came alone.

Olivia agreed and flew down to Jersey the night before. It's been a while since I've seen her but god she's changed a lot.

She was going to stay in the house for the night.

The ball was tomorrow. I was kind of excited.

As soon as we got to my house from the airport, Olivia flopped on the couch and just asked me straight out "so Jack, any ladies your into these days?" She probably wanted to make fun of me but I knew the answer. I decided to be honest with her because I knew I could trust her.

"Well you could say that.." I answered.

"I had a girlfriend for a long time, and I broke up with her.."

"Why? If you loved her so much?" She asked me again.

"It's a Long Story... pretty much she went on a date with Connor McDavid because she was working with him, and the paparazzi caught a picture of Connor going in for a kiss.."

"What the hell? What a bitch. Let's see this picture."

It really pains me to see the picture that broke off such a good relationship. I went online and searched it up and the first thing that came up was the article.

I showed her the picture and Olivia started to study it.

"She looks like she's not even paying attention to him Jack, look."

I took a better look at the picture and Olivia was right. Ella looked like she was staring into space. Not even knowing what's going on.

"Well it's not like I can do anything now. I said some pretty shitty things that night. I still love her."

Olivia grew a caring face. "If she loves you she will make an effort to talk."

"Well she's going to be at this ball, I don't know it for sure but her and the host are very good friends."

"Well then there's your chance.."  said Olivia.

————————————————————————
We finally made it to the ball. The hotel was nice. I Cant imagine the price to rent this place.

I had a nice black tux. You know the usual nice thing to wear.

We walk down the grand staircase and right away Nico walks up to us with a pretty ginger on his arm.

"Yoo Jack, you have a girlfriend now?" He asks sarcastically knowing that's not true at all.

"This is one of my childhood best friends Olivia Nico.."

He just slaps my back and asks to get a drink with me.

I agree and we walk over to the bar. "Shot of Scotch please." I ask the bartender. Half of me wanted to get wasted enough that I wouldn't know what happened the morning after. I can't though because I'm driving Olivia back.