Close call

Taz (19)
Monday April 18th

Taz (19)Monday April 18th

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey son" my father said on the other line.

"Wassup pops" I said dryly. I haven't spoken to him in a couple months.

"I ain't hear from you in awhile. Everything alright?" He asked. You could tell the vibe was off between us

"Yea I'm straight." I answered.

"How've you've been?" He asked.

"I ain't in jail so I guess I'm doing good. How's the family?" I chuckled shortly.

"The kids talk about you all the time. They might not be blood related but they still care for you." He replied. He got step kids which I don't mind but I don't love them the same way I do Mookie and his siblings. Shit is different.

"Yea I miss them too. But I was really asking how you've been?"

"You know it's almost that time but I've been holding up. Life would be better if you would just move down here with me. You know that door will always be open" my pops said. He's been trying to get me to move down to Texas with him but I haven't been able to push myself to do that. I'm stuck with a lot of memories that I don't want to lose.

"Yea I know but I got family down here too and it's hard for me to just up and leave. Im not like you" I said shaking my head.

"You right you're not like me. You're better than me. Im still proud of you." He complimented. Ion know if I feel that way about myself.

"Pops I gotta go. Imma talk to you soon" I said cutting the conversation short. It was about to get real personal and I didn't want to get into that right now.

"Ok son be safe. Check in from time to time, let me know you're good" he said.

"Im always good"

"I love you son" he replied.

"... I love you too" I said back and hung up.

The last time I talked to my pops was from a jail phone. I haven't talked to him since I got out. I always felt like he would lecture me and be disappointed in the choices I made but shit is the opposite. I've been on my own for 3 years shits crazy man and he has still yet to leave me even when he was ok with me being emancipated he still helped me out with the house until I could do that shit on my own.

_________

I was on my way to pick up the puppies that me and Mookie looked at a couple weeks ago. I don't know if I want the boy or the girl, they both are gorgeous.

 I don't know if I want the boy or the girl, they both are gorgeous