15

Connor held true to his word

Connor held true to his word. The following morning, the famous four showed up at my tiny apartment ready to work without any complaints. I had reiterated they didn't have to do this. I'm not even sure how Connor persuaded them to be here, but surprisingly, there was a collective sense of respect for the six-two-hot-shot center, and all of them reassured me they wouldn't have come to help me move if they hadn't wanted to.

"You're part of the family now," Matti had said with a lazy smile, wiggling his eyebrows at Connor. "And you're important to this guy."

"Everyone is important to him," I had replied, but even saying it, I knew it was a lie. After the kiss we shared and Connor's speech the day prior, I was sinking into quicksand. It was only a matter of time before I fell for him, but no matter what, I couldn't let that happen. It was fun pretending yesterday for those fleeting moments that I could be the girl he wished I was, but it simply wasn't true. I'm not even close to the girl he seems to idolize in his head.

But for now, as I watch the four toned and muscular hockey players help carry my furniture into my new townhome, I realize I'll have to pretend a little longer. Since they helped me move, it means I owe Connor a date, and I'm clueless as to what that entails.

"Living room, I'm assuming? Fuck, set it down." Connor and Matti gently place the side of my grey sectional they're holding on the hardwood floor, their forearms flexing in response. My eyes are glued to Connor's damp curls sticking to his forehead. Even with the autumn chill outside, all the boys are sweating, and I'm selfishly loving every second of the view.

"Baby, stop drooling. There'll be plenty of time to explore my body on our date tomorrow," Connor says with a wink.

"Don't call me that," I snap. "And oh my god, you told them? Connor, if this gets back to your coach or to Brian, I'm screwed. Do you know who they'll fire if word gets out about us going on a date? Certainly not their star center."

Levi sets a box labeled kitchen down on the island as he joins us. "Relax, Aria. I told you the boys would keep it on the down low, didn't I? Your secret is safe with us."

"There is no secret," I say, exasperated. "I only agreed to go on this date with him because he offered me something I couldn't refuse. I didn't want to pay for movers. That's the only reason."

Connor snorts. "You know damn well if you didn't want to do something, you wouldn't. Let's stop making excuses, shall we? Fuck, am I the only one that's hot?" Reaching behind his head, he strips himself of the t-shirt he's wearing and tosses it onto my dining room table, leaving him shirtless. He's right, as always, because I definitely agreed to go on this date in the hopes of getting another kiss from him.

At first, I was afraid of hurting him, but he knew what he was signing up for. He's aware of the possibility I may never be ready for a relationship, so why not have some fun? Just yesterday he said he'd take that risk with me, and right now...