42

I can't remember a time I've been so nervous

I can't remember a time I've been so nervous. Sure, our first date was terrifying too, but nothing compares to this.

We're staying at her parent's house in New York, and after dinner, Aria confided in me about her and her mother's conversation and how well it went. For the first time in a long time, she seems lighter. It's the happiest I've ever seen her, and this could be an insanely stupid idea, but it feels right.

Shifting awkwardly on the carpet of her parent's guest bedroom, my heart is racing, and my palms are sweaty. Aria isn't the type to want this done in front of people. After everything that happened in her past, she's uncomfortable with the attention, so I knew when I planned this (considering everything went according to plan) it needed to be done somewhere intimate. Just the two of us.

"God, that shower felt so—" Aria's words die in her throat when she sees me on the floor in front of her. I'm down on one knee, holding open a ring box with a shaky hand. I picked this ring out a month after I met her. When you know, you know, and I've never been more certain of this decision.

"Connor," she says in a choked whisper. Tears are filling her eyes, and I pray to God that they're the good kind. "What are you—"

"This was the last piece to the puzzle, Aria." I wave my hand around the guest room. "I wanted to wait until things were mended with your parents, and although there's still work to do, we're here, and I was able to ask your dad for your hand. Despite what you say, if I had asked without his permission, it would have bothered you, and I didn't want there to be any what-ifs about this. Not one. I told you I wasn't going to waste another second without putting a ring on your finger, and I meant it."

She takes a step closer, a strangled sob leaving when she eyes the 20-carat diamond ring. I don't splurge on much, but Aria is the exception. Making her my wife is something I take very seriously, and I wanted the ring to back up that decision.

"I knew when we met five years ago in The Maldives that you would mean something to me, Aria. I searched for you for years, and it was pure fate that you became the photographer for my team. My life is hectic, but with you in it, it's better. You're everything I've been searching for, and every trait I seek in a partner, you embody. Strength. Bravery. Kindness. I want you, Aria Monroe. For the rest of my life." I flick my eyes over her body, my lips tilting into a grin. "Moo Moo and all."

A watery laugh fills the silence before she tackles me to the carpet, the ring box flying across the room. "Oh, shit!" She gasps, crawling to snatch it from beside her suitcase. "Connor, this ring... It's too much."

"No, it's not. You deserve it." Gently grabbing the ring box, I take the jewelry out and arch a brow. "Well? Is that a yes?"

She grins from ear to ear. "That's a hell yes, Holden. Go ahead and slip it on."

The ring is a little big for her finger, but that can easily be taken care of. Her hands clutch the sides of my face before she pulls me in for a kiss, and for the first time, I feel complete. She said yes, she's mine, and she isn't going to leave my damn sight ever again.