34

"Listen, before we go in there and introduce you, I need to let you know that my family can be

"Listen, before we go in there and introduce you, I need to let you know that my family can be...a lot." Sitting parked in my parent's driveway has never made me more nervous. I'm drumming my fingers rapidly on the steering wheel as Aria peeks out the windshield at the huge, daunting mansion before her. I don't know what her childhood was like, but I suddenly regret not asking. Was she wealthy? Is she used to this lifestyle? Or is seeing my childhood home going to make her think differently of me?

"Connor, I'm ready to meet them," Aria says, reaching over to interlock her fingers with mine. "I wouldn't be here if I felt like I wasn't."

A wicked grin forms on my lips. "Trust me, I know how strong-willed you are, Aria. Nobody can talk you into anything you don't want to do."

"So why the sudden reluctance for me to meet them?"

Fuck. I despise the way she's second-guessing herself. The very second she flicks her gaze from my eyes to the house again, her brows knitted together, I tug open the car door and head over to her side to help her out. "There's no reluctance. I've been wanting you to meet them for a long time, baby. Let's go."

But walking around the stone path that winds around a fountain in the courtyard, I can't help but feel a sense of unease. Aria came from a small family, and now that her sister passed, she hasn't been around anyone in years. She's been lonely and has kept herself closed off. As soon as I open the front door, all hell is going to break loose, and my biggest fear is overwhelming her. We're taking this at her pace, and when—not if—my family swarms her with questions, I don't want her to run. I've worked so fucking hard for us to be right where we are.

"They're here!" My sister's voice echoes from behind the large mahogany door, and fuck me sideways. This is going to be worse than I imagined.

Aria giggles softly when Everett swings the door open, a teasing smile coating his face as he glances between us. I'm still trying to get used to my brother smiling in general. He used to be a miserable asshole before he made things official with his now-wife Emery, but this new and improved version almost scares me more than the old one. I never know if what he's about to say will be heartfelt or dick-like and dripping with sarcasm.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you under the right circumstances, Aria. I'm thrilled Connor finally got his head out of his ass. I'm Everett, his older brother."

Dick-like it is, then.

"It's nice to meet you," she replies sweetly. The gentleness and softness of her voice travels straight to my cock. It's not the time to imagine her coaxing me through an orgasm with that voice, but here I am, staring up at the cathedral ceilings of the foyer as I try to count to ten and calm myself down.

Nobody can blame me when she looks like that in a sweater dress skin-tight to her body and those same fucking tights. I want to peel them off of her. I wanted to rip them open with my teeth on that damn park bench less than an hour ago. It's a tease and a shame for her most pleasurable spot to be covered up by so many layers.