37

When I get to Brian's office without a second to spare, I know I'm in deep and utter shit.

He sits with his hands folded in front of him on top of the large, mahogany desk that takes up the majority of the room. His mouth is set in a firm line, showing no trace of the cheerful man he normally is around me. It brings me back to the night he caught Esme and me sneaking home from a party, and my pulse ticks in response as I sit into one of the chairs adjacent to the desk.

"Is there something you'd like to tell me?" He asks.

Oh, god.

This is how he's going to play it? Act oblivious until he wears me down and my nerves get the best of me and I tell the truth? What has he heard? I'm left with nothing to go on, not an inkling as to what he might be aware of, and the thought of that is terrifying.

"I don't know what you mean," I cautiously reply. My knee bounces—a nervous habit—and Brian's eyes flick to my lap. He's known me for practically my entire life. If anyone could catch me in a lie, it'd be him.

There's only twenty minutes left until the game starts, so maybe if I stay silent long enough, he'll let me leave.

Doubtful, but it's worth a shot.

Beneath his scrutinizing gaze, I can feel my walls threatening to crumble.

"So, I should let these rumors of you and Connor be just that, then? Rumors?" I gulp loudly when he leans forward and rests his elbows on the desk. "Be honest with me, Aria. This will be a whole lot easier if you tell the truth."

My brain tries to keep up with my thoughts, but it's no use. I can't think of a good enough lie, and, if I'm being honest, I don't want to lie. I'm tired of hiding my feelings for Connor. Tired of going on these away games and not being able to kiss him as soon as he steps off the ice. Tired of not wearing his number to show him my unwavering support.

"Did he rope you into something you weren't comfortable with?" He asks.

"What? No, I..." Is that what everyone really thinks of him? That he'd force me into something? My mind strays to the photographer who used him as leverage by showing those photos, and my jaw ticks from annoyance. I've never been one to hold my tongue, certainly not around Brian, so I reply, "Connor's been nothing but a gentleman since I met him, and if you really had to ask me that question, it's clear you don't know your star play at all."

He arches a brow. "Oh?"

"Yes, oh." I rise to my feet with my palms flat on the desk. "The previous photographer? The one who claimed he talked her into taking them in the first place? It's not true. None of it is, but Connor didn't want to tell the truth in fear you wouldn't believe him. He's..." I sigh, blinking up at the ceiling as I search for words. "He's the best person I know, and yes, we've breached the contract. It's not a hook-up or a fling, it's a relationship, but I'll understand if you have to let me go. Just please don't take this out on Connor, Brian. He's already been through—" Brian's laughter cuts me off, and my eyes snap back to his only to realize he's smiling. "Why are you laughing? This isn't funny."

When he finally calms down enough to speak he says, "Aria, the clause is a formality. Is it frowned upon? Yes, but you're... You're not just an employee to me, you're family. I know you wouldn't start something with one of the players unless you were serious about them. Truthfully, I can't believe you allowed someone in enough to get to the point of being in a relationship, and I don't mean to laugh, but I'm just...relieved. I'm happy you found someone, and I'm pleased my stern act was enough for you to confess. I was growing tired of you both tiptoeing around me."

My eyes grow wide. "You knew?"

"It's not hard to piece it together when my star player stopped making headlines for bringing a female home after the games. I've always known Connor was a good man. It's why I didn't fire him after the last photographer presented those photos to us, and I went into a legal battle to get his name cleared for a reason. Originally, I didn't bring it to his attention as I thought it would be an uncomfortable subject for him to talk about, and it hurts me to know he feels I wouldn't believe him. I've seen the way he is around his family when they're at the rink. As much as he can be a conceited ass at times, he's a good person."