41

Five Years Earlier

Five Years Earlier

What a drag this vacation has been.

I'm used to living it up with Everett and Izzy whenever our parents decide to go to a tropical destination or skiing in Aspen. We may not always get along, but when we're forced to be together, we form a sibling camaraderie and drink ourselves into oblivion.

But now we're celebrating Izzy's wedding, and she's busy with Mason, and Everett is doing lord only knows what with Emery. For the first time during our family vacations, I'm alone, and that's a foreign concept to me. I'm used to being the life of the party. I need constant chatter and affection to avoid getting swarmed up in my thoughts for too long, but apparently, The Maldives aren't offering me a reprieve.

Bass drums loudly through the speakers next to the ocean, where a DJ sits perched in a booth on a stage. A makeshift dance floor is on the sand and girls in bikinis with glow stick necklaces parade around the area, becoming my only distraction.

"Another?"

I turn to the bartender, who eyes my empty glass of whiskey. I'm not twenty-one yet, but my fake ID says I am. Even if I didn't have a fake, I'd still be able to weasel my way into getting free drinks tonight. All it'd take is offering a pair of sideline tickets to one of my father's games, but I'm not that much of a prick.

"Please." He disappears to make it just as a girl approaches my side at the bar. She doesn't have a glow stick necklace, but she's in a bikini that is skimpy and mouth-watering. From the side, her ass is fucking incredible, and her tits—

"Can I help you?" She doesn't bother turning to face me. She keeps her attention on the bartender, waiting to be helped. Whoever she is, it's clear this is the last place she wants to be. Her fingers drum impatiently on the bar top, her lips pursed into a frown.

"My apologies," I drawl, already slightly buzzed. "I can't help myself around pretty girls."

Even though I can't see her, I can feel the eye roll she gives me. "Is that the best you can do?"

"Are you saying you want me to try and hit on you?"

The bartender returns with my drink, and the girl slides her ID across the bar, ordering tequila straight. I arch a brow, impressed at her liquor choice. It doesn't pass me by that she's ignored my previous question.

Intriguing.

"Hard liquor, eh? Planning on partying hard tonight?"

She scoffs. "Not a chance. All of this...isn't for me."

"Really? Could have fooled me. You're certainly dressed for the occasion."

This time, she glances in my direction, and the breath is stolen from my lungs. This woman standing before me is fucking beautiful. Light brown eyes that suck you in with a perfectly shaped nose and full lips. A scar travels down the length of her forehead, red and prominent as if it happened recently.