32

Levi is known by the team for being an outstanding cook

Levi is known by the team for being an outstanding cook. Whether he's bringing in a batch of cookies, dip, or a homemade cake, it's normally gone within minutes. Tonight, however, he outdid himself.

A turkey cooked to perfection—the meat tender and juicy, mac and cheese that yes, was fucking mouth-watering, roasted vegetables and buttery rolls. Everyone around the table devoured their plates, me included, and now I'm wishing I wore sweatpants instead of jeans. The buttons are threatening to burst from how full my stomach is.

With this being my first Friendsgiving, I wasn't sure what to expect. I've always spent the holiday with my family, and although I'm missing my nieces and nephews more than life itself tonight, spending it with Aria and my team is a close second. Their laughter and constant chatter make me feel as if I'm home.

Aria takes a sip of wine before she leans into me and whispers, "I'm having a great time."

My hand, which has been trying to touch her as much as possible tonight, moves from around her shoulder to land on her thigh. "Were you expecting to hate it?"

"No, it's just been a while since I've..." She gulps down another sip and winces. "It's been a while since I've celebrated Thanksgiving with anyone."

My hand freezes from creating circles on her thigh. She's only had two glasses, so I know she's not confiding in me because she's intoxicated. The door's been opened, and I'm damn sure going to take the opportunity to burst through it.

"Your parents couldn't make it?" I pry.

She laughs softly. "Quite the opposite, actually. If they could be on a plane tomorrow, they would. After my sister passed things just haven't been the same. I don't think I've been able to accept that when we do celebrate it again together, it won't be with her. I don't want to celebrate as a family again if it's not with her." She blinks away tears, so I start my circles on her thigh in an attempt to calm her. "It sounds ridiculous when I say it, but celebrating as a family of three instead of four seems like it would make it permanent that she's gone. If I stay here where we grew up our entire lives... If I refuse to go to my parent's new home on the opposite side of the country, she might still be alive, and I won't have to know what it feels like to create new traditions without her."

A tear slips onto her face, so I quickly swipe it away with my thumb. I let my hand linger, creating soothing strokes along her cheek. "I think change can be hard for anyone," I admit. "It doesn't make you sound ridiculous, it makes you human. Although I've never dealt with grief firsthand, I don't believe it has a set of instructions for you to follow. People navigate it in their own way, and they move on at a speed they specifically require. It sounds like your parents love and care for you, so I imagine they've been patient and will continue to be patient until you've reached the speed they're at, you know?"

If anyone around us is paying attention to our intense conversation, they don't show it. Laughter and music surround us, but it all fades when a genuine smile falls onto Aria's face. It's the kind of smile I hope I'll be lucky enough to put there forever.