28

On the rare occasion I have the day off, I normally spend it alone binge watching whatever television show captures my attention

On the rare occasion I have the day off, I normally spend it alone binge watching whatever television show captures my attention. I don't have any friends outside of my teammates, and being around my family can be exhausting. I've always preferred to spend my free time by myself. Today, however, I plan on spending it a very different way.

At my first stop of the day, my phone goes off. I almost roll my eyes when I scroll through the family group chat.

Mom: You're telling me you won't be joining us for Thanksgiving the weekend before??? What changed? You've never missed a holiday with us.

Iz: I can think of a reason why...

Dickhead Ev: Does it start and end with an A by any chance?

Mason: If so, it's about time.

Dad: It's none of our business. If you need to skip out on this year, we'll understand.

Em: Stop hounding him! Whatever reason he has is valid enough.

Dickhead Ev: If you're missing Thanksgiving just to be with her, can you at least make things official and introduce us? PROPERLY this time?

God, I hate Everett.

***

"Connor?" Aria peeks her head through her front door, surprised to see me. "What are you doing here?"

I lean my arm against the door with a cocky grin—one I know she can't refuse. "We both have the day off, right? I thought we could spend it together."

"But we're supposed to be keeping this a secret. We can't go out."

"I didn't say we were." Lifting the bag in my hands, I arch a brow. "Is it alright if I come in?"

Aria tentatively steps away from the door, allowing me inside. She's in leggings and an oversized t-shirt, and her straightened hair is held back by a bandana. Bare-faced with no makeup, she's fucking perfect.

"No more sling?" I ask, pointing to her bare arm.

I glance over my shoulder when she turns the doorknob three times, then checks the deadbolt three more times. "Habit," she says in a rushed voice. "And I got the all clear from my doctor this morning. Anyway, welcome to my home."

"I've been here before," I reply. "Remember? When I helped you move?"

"Right, but I've decorated since then."

Not really. Her townhome is bare, lacking any sense of home. I don't spot a single picture of her family on any of the walls. There's a couch, a television, a dining room table, but it doesn't feel like a home. It just looks like a house that's being staged for sale.

There are a lot of secrets to be learned about Aria's past, so there's probably a reason she doesn't have pictures of her family up. Rather than comment on it, I head into the kitchen and place the bag on top of the island. "We're having a movie day," I announce.