26

It was excruciatingly difficult to say goodbye to Aria

After our shower, I couldn't keep my hands off of her, and she couldn't seem to do the same. I made it to Brian's hotel room with seconds to spare considering we have to leave for our plane in twenty minutes, and judging by the expression on his face when he opens the door, he's not too pleased, either.

Brian jerks his chin behind him into the suite. "Come in," he says.

Brushing past him, I stride for the sitting area and tap my fingers nervously on the leather, unsure of whether or not I should sit for this conversation. Brian nods for me to do so, but the chair is too small for my large frame. My legs are squished between the chair and the coffee table, but I suck it up rather than be difficult and ask to switch seats.

"I'd prefer not to waste both of our times and cut straight to it." He sits across from me, leaning back to cross one ankle over the other. "I need to know what's going on between you and Aria."

Well, glad to know my suspicions were correct.

"What about me and Aria?"

"Cut the bullshit, Holden. Rumors are circulating. The team knows, but what I need to  know is what exactly your intentions are with her." He eyes me with distaste, which has me gritting my teeth in response. He's never been my biggest fan, despite my best efforts. It could be because of the media capturing me with a different girl every weekend, which didn't exactly bring the team the best reputation, or it could be because he believes I got drafted simply due to my genetics and who my father is. Brian's never actually said that, but I can tell he doesn't think highly of me, especially after the last incident with the previous photographer.

"There's nothing to know," I reply cautiously. Aria's job is riding on this, so if I can make him think the rumors are false, I'm going to.

"See, that's what I was hoping you wouldn't say." Leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees, I find myself gulping. "Aria is like a third daughter to me. Our families have known each other for years. She isn't someone to toy around with, and she certainly isn't another flavor of the week. That girl has been through far too much to—" He inhales deeply, shaking his head as if to stop himself. "You could choose anyone else on this team and I wouldn't bat an eye, but her? She's off limits to you, Holden. I'm not going to risk her getting hurt again. Not when her parents are trusting me with her safety."

What the fuck happened?

Clearly, Brian seems to be aware of Aria's past. If only I could just understand then maybe I'd see things more clearly, but Brian isn't her father. He may be the owner of the team, but he can't dictate who I choose to spend my time with.

"With all due respect, sir, Aria isn't a flavor of the week for me. If there were something going on between us, I think I'd understand just how rare and incredible she is. I wouldn't mess something like that up with her. I appreciate your concern for her, and I'm sure she would too, but we're just friends. Nothing more."