30

The boys have been on a roll

Another away game victory, which brings us that much closer to the playoffs, has the team electric in the locker room. I can hear them from out in the hallway chanting and shouting at the top of their lungs, trying to fight a grin but epically failing.

After the overtime period ended with no score, I took the perfect shot of Connor scoring the winning goal during the shootout. The team raced out onto the ice and lifted him onto their shoulders, the opposing team shouting vulgar obscenities as they exited the rink. It took everything I had not to run onto the ice and kiss Connor's face off, but to the world, he's a player, and I'm the team's photographer. I won't risk losing this job. Not when I've come so far.

Lacey was thrilled after I showed her the photo I captured, urging me to email it to her as soon as possible. I don't blame her for wanting to get her hands on it. Behind his helmet, Connor's curls are sticking to his forehead with sweat, his face set with nothing but predatory focus as her zeroes in on the goalie. This picture is gold. I'm almost annoyed that other girls will have the opportunity to fawn over it as much as me.

Flicking through the other countless photos from tonight's game, it's an effort not to roll my eyes. Since when did I become so territorial? Two and a half months ago, if someone told me I'd agree to be Connor's girlfriend, I'd laugh in their face. But now I'm in total puck bunny mode waiting outside of the locker room practically itching to get my hands on him.

I assume the famous four knows we're together. I'd be surprised if Connor didn't tell them. And while we have to keep our public displays of affection to a minimum when we're around each other, I've found I can come up with creative ways to tease him and indirectly claim him as mine.

"We're getting fucked up tonight!" Mattie yells as he pushes the door pushes open. Levi follows behind him with a tired grin.

"I don't know how you have so much energy," Levi says. "I'm fucking exhausted."

"Oh, come on," Matti groans. "At least come to the bar for one round. You can get back to putting your apron on and prepping our Thanksgiving meal when we get home. There's time for sleep later."

Finally, the man I've been waiting for exits the locker room. Almost instantly, his eyes meet mine, and when they drift lower...

Yep. That's the reaction I was looking for.

I figured the team would want to go out and celebrate tonight, so I changed after the game into something I stole from Connor's closet last night. His jersey is huge on me, a makeshift dress that hangs just above my knees, and I changed into a pair of black thigh-high boots to match the black in the team's colors.

"Thanksgiving takes a lot of energy! Do you know how much prepping goes into it?" Levi continues to argue with Matti as Connor takes his fill of me. He's been begging since he met me to wear his damn number. Now that I'm officially his girlfriend, it seems fitting.