16

"So, are you going to tell us what that was all about, or

"So, are you going to tell us what that was all about, or..." Ana opens my brand new fridge as if she's expecting to find something, but when she realizes it's empty, a frown falls onto her face. "I didn't think Connor Holden would ever get tied down."

I lean forward to rest my elbows on the island, hating the way my heart is still hammering away from just the mere touch of Connor's fingers. No matter how hard I try to forget, my brain won't shut off our kiss from two days ago, and the second his fingers touched my skin today, they elicited the same response as his lips. How is that even possible?

"It's a good thing he's not tied down then," I add, "because nothing is happening between us. I agreed to go on a date with him if he and the boys helped me move in. That's all it is."

Esme finally drags her attention away from the door the boys vanished from only five minutes earlier. "How tiring is it to continue lying? Your cheeks are redder than a tomato, Aria. Just admit you enjoyed sleeping with him and give him a chance. He's clearly interested in getting to know you more."

Ana lets out a sound mixed between a squeal and a gasp. "It all makes so much sense now. I get why you're so hung up on him. Back in high school, I was only a sophomore, but I would overhear Esme's friends talking about how good he was in bed. However, him being so hung up on you is strange behavior."

Her sister tries to elbow her in the side discreetly, but the yelp Ana releases can be heard for miles. "Not because there's anything wrong with you," she quickly adds. "For him to be hung up on anyone is strange. He's Connor Holden, you know? His reputation was worshipped back in the day, and now that he plays professional hockey? That man could play the field for the rest of his life if he wanted."

The silent rage filling my veins is enough to knock me off kilter. I'm not used to jealousy, but with Connor, I can't seem to help myself. Mainly because if his reputation is that well-known, I'm obviously not the only woman to have a mind-blowing night with the famous center. An insane part of me thought our night together was special, but that's probably what all of the women he slept with think. After a night with Connor, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to plan a wedding right there on the spot.

"So, tell me." Ana leans forward on the opposite side of the island, wiggling her eyebrows. "Is his dick really as big as everyone says?"

"Ana!" Esme elbows her in the side again, glaring at her. "That's totally inappropriate. You don't have to answer that, Aria."

The laugh that bubbles out of me is uncontrollable, though, and as soon as the sound escapes my mouth, a wave of sadness follows. How long has it been since we did exactly this? When we used to talk about boys together while eating popcorn and watching trashy movies? Esme was always the prude, and Ana and I would say the filthiest things that came to mind until her cheeks turned pink and her jaw hung open.