21

Klaus's POV

*flashback*

2003

I threw the empty bottle of scotch against the wall, the glass shattering and falling to the ground as I ran over to the bar and grabbed another bottle of scotch, stepping over the now dead bartender.

Five hundred years of love and all of it was washed down the drain. My heart felt like it was being ripped from my chest and the only way I knew how to deal with it was anger and drinking all the alcohol I could find.

As well as drinking all the blood I could find. So in typical fashion I murdered every last human being in this bar all to which begged for my mercy as I put them out of it.

"Niklaus." Elijah's cautious voice spoke as he quietly entered the bar. His eyes scanning the room of dead bodies before meeting my face. "What have you done?"

My jaw clenched as I swallowed down some scotch. "Isn't it obvious? I had a feast." I said through gritted teeth.

Elijah sighed as he walked over some dead bodies gracefully. "What happened?"

I slammed my bottle down on the bar counter, causing some of the liquid to spill out. All I wanted to do in this moment was flip the switch, my aching heart was begging for the relief, but I couldn't. I promised Amelia that if she had to deal with her humanity for life then so did I.

"Amelia and I are over." I said with a cruel laugh.

Elijah's eyes glistened with confusion as he cocked his head to the side. "What do you mean by over?"

I snickered loudly as I stepped behind the bar, my arms waving in the air. "I mean I am now a single man brother." I boasted my tone laced with sarcasm.

There was nothing to boast about, I was broken.

Elijah shook his head, my words surprising him just as much as they were surprising me. Neither of us ever expected me to utter those words in this lifetime.

"I'm sure there's a way to fix it. You're in love." Elijah muttered.

I scoffed. "Love. Horrible isn't it? It makes you so vulnerable." I started as I grabbed my alcohol and took a sip. "You build up all of these defenses, so that nothing can hurt you and then one stupid person who's no different than any other person wanders into your life..." I laughed.

"Niklaus-"

"And stupidly you give them a piece of you." I kept going as I cut off my brother. "They never asked for it, they just did something stupid one day, like smile at you and then all of a sudden your life isn't your own anymore." I spoke as I kicked one of the dead humans laying around.

Elijah didn't say anything as he watched my tears start to fall while I paced the bar angrily. "Love gets inside of you. Eats you and leaves you all because of a phrase you spoke."

Elijah's face grew to worry as he listened to me blubber on. My anger growing more as more tears started to fall. "I will never give my heart away again!" I yelled as I grabbed a bar chair and threw it across the room.

Elijah shook his head as he walked up to me slowly. "What happened?" He asked confused.

I cocked my head at him, my face going vacant as I stared into his eyes. "I told her that she was a distraction in my plan for hybrids and that I wish I never met her." I said in such a low boring tone that made Elijah know I was serious.

-
*present time*

Klaus's POV

"I see Gwen is still a spitfire." I mumbled as I tried to keep my mind off that night.