Condition.

Ellie sat down on the floor, resting her head against the couch which Joel is sitting on.

Currently in front of his favorite movie, Curtis & Viper's sequel. Some old action flicks are always Joel's taste in entertainment. He was born a hardcore Texan.

They watched in silent, as the awkwardness around them still hasn't faded away yet. Until the movie ends.

"Well that was anticlimactic." Ellie couldn't believe the ending.

"I know. I know. He's supposed blow up the house. But the director said that Curtis showed vulnerability, and that's what led to the next instalment."

Joel went over and switch off the TV.

Turning around, both are having a hard time keeping eye contact.

"You know, I never got to thank you."

Joel's eyes lid up, dumbstruck by what Ellie is saying.

"Thanks for saving me." She continues.

"Huh... You're welcome kiddo." Joel scratches his nape, as the uneasiness flowed through his head. "And I'm sorry for lying to you too."

Ellie took in a deep breath before she started speaking again.

"(Y/N) told me about, how you risked your life saving me. Hating you without putting myself in your shoes is, straight up stupid."

"Now don't say that." Joel protest.

"But it is. He also told me that, he kept a lie from Ana as well, which is why he understands what you're going through. I'm not sure what lies it is though. I don't get the chance to ask him about it yet."

"Did he said anything about the parents?" Joel asks her, trying to put together the pieces.

"Yeah... Did he, say something to you?"

"Not him. Ana. She told me that, her parents, well hers and Jason's, went outside looking for resources. They didn't return. (Y/N) found them and took care of them ever since. Promised to bring them to Jackson where it's safe, so he did."

Ellie was trying to process the story.

"Maybe it was meant to be." She concluded.

They end the night with a very warm, nostalgic hug to each other.

"Good night kiddo."

"Good night Joel." Ellie went over to the door, and as she was halfway out, she turned her head, looking at him.

"Breakfast tomorrow?"

"I could use some omelette."

~~

It's been a week since snow befalls Jackson, and the community has started their traditional winter season spirit.