Chapter 9

The moment was stagnant. Its brief interlude was painfully slow motion. He walked with purpose and confidence. He glanced at her, quickly assessing, his eyes taking in the length of her body, then to his mother who was holding her arms out to him. Scarlett swallowed, and hard.

He was tall like Mr. Connor, but notably took after Naomi. His skin was copper brown, and his hair was raven black, cut in a way that fell just above his neckline. He wore black dress slacks and a dark blue collared shirt. He must have just come from work because there were a few buttons left undone, and the cuffs at his wrists were unbuttoned.

"Awe," Naomi beamed with delight. "My oldest." She walked a few steps to him. "And my most trouble."

Naomi hugged him, then held him out at arm's length. Scarlett sensed immediately that their bond was oak. Naomi touched his cheek, and Aiden grasped it gently. 

"Mom, don't fret."

Naomi breathed out a sigh, adjusting his unbuttoned collar.

"I'm not fussing. But you look exhausted."

She took a sip of her wine. "You in that office of yours, at all hours, isn't necessarily healthy."

Aiden crossed his arms listening to the brief lecture, and then his eyes rooted with Scarlett's.

Scarlett's pulse beat ferociously. His eyes were the same sky blue as the ghost she had seen. She blinked, unable to look away — held there by a storm of unknown.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Naomi placed her hand on Aiden's arm.

"Scarlett, this is my son, Aiden."

He smiled like he was going to have her for breakfast.

"Pleasure." His voice was raspy and sounded just as she thought it would. It carried to her core. She wanted to hear it again.

She extended her hand and Aiden reached for it, gently clasping it within his own. It was warm and smooth, unlike Mr. Connor's. He was definitely a businessman, she thought. Not a man that worked with his hands, but one that used his mind.

Scarlett smiled, lightly squeezing his hand back. "Nice to meet you."

He nodded, not taking his eyes from hers, a subtle grin lining his face. "Are your feet feeling better?"

Oh my God, she thought. The blood rushed to her face.

"They're just fine, thanks for asking."

Scarlett grabbed her glass and took a long, lovely sip. She wanted the floors to open up and swallow her whole. Preferably with the wine in hand.

"Aiden, why in the world are you asking about Scarlett's feet?" Naomi inquired. Her brow was set, and she was clearly puzzled.

Yes, pray tell, Scarlett thought.

Aiden grinned. "I was finishing up a call outside in my car, and I had my window down." He tilted his head toward Scarlett. "I heard her complaining about her feet."

His eyes were laughing and his grin was back. He reached for a cracker and cheese, then walked to the fridge to grab a drink.

Naomi shook her head. "Aiden, you're incorrigible." She grabbed the dishtowel and swatted him on the rear.

"Scarlett, believe it or not, my son was raised with manners. My apologies that they seem to be absent this evening." She poured more wine in hers and Scarlett's glasses.