Chapter 14

"Jesus," Aiden whispered vehemently, standing. "This is bizarre." He ran his hands through his dark hair, pacing the small span of the room. "You both realize that, right?" It was a rhetorical question. This was damn madness.

He stopped then and stood behind Scarlett, his hands resting on the back of her chair. "Forgive me Regina, but I think this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard yet." He glared at Regina, whose gaze was still locked with Scarlett's. He swallowed then, noticing the grave look written on her face. Aiden wanted to get the hell out of there.

He took a deep breath and sat back down, his knee brushing Scarlett's thigh. He was expecting to see a sign of disbelief, and was damn surprised by the sheer look of awe on Scarlett's face. She was immersed in this craziness, he thought.

Scarlett had not drifted her gaze away. She was lost in the words that were spoken. They were gushing through her like a tempest. Whether this was outrageous or not, she was mesmerized.

Regina's eyes fell then and onto the book before her. "Ahhh," her lips pursed, and then continued. "You have yet to remember." Her old hands sifted through the yellow stained pages.

It occurred to Scarlett that she was in way over her head. She did not expect this. Aiden was right, this was bizarre. She watched Regina intently examining the book before her. This by far was the strangest thing she has ever heard.

She was a Medium for God sake, and most things didn't shock her. However, this revelation was as farfetched as her sprouting wings tonight. She looked over to Aiden, who seemed restless and about to pounce on anything. She could tell he wanted to leave. Well, more like, take flight.

Scarlett didn't want to be rude. They came for help, and help is what she intended to go home with.

Regina placed her palms upon the book, directing her attention to Aiden. "It is true, whether it be bizarre or not. The past has a way of sometimes defining the future. When left unsettled, it covets to complete its task."

She nodded her head to Scarlett. "Your story, your past, continues from centuries ago. You, Scarlett, are the very heart of it. There is a reason she lingers. There is a purpose that your husband still drifts through this dimension and has not found peace."

Aiden put his hand on the table with a gentle force. "Husband?"

Regina impaled Aiden with her stare then moved to Scarlett. "Your spirit has found them again, but there is something that you must do. A task that you did not finish in your past life. Until you remember, until you find that answer, they will linger in your home and she will taunt you until she brings harm to you again."

Aiden rested his hand on top of Scarlett's, hoping to get her attention. This was becoming way out of his league.

Regina cocked her head slightly, and sighed. "You are gifted. You can see what is unseen."

Scarlett dropped her eyes, the fear of ridicule already seeping into her.

Regina tapped her nails upon the wood table, calculating her thoughts. She watched the young woman closely, and knew that there was a war festering within.

"Your land and your home bleed. They bleed negativity, and the blood is the shadows of past. I have been there; I have walked upon the land myself many years ago. I could hear the whispers in the wind."

Aiden cleared his throat, moving his chair out slightly, the noise piercing the room. Both Scarlett and Regina turned their heads, while he took a seat once again.

Regina continued.

"Your magic will come when you summon it. Your house is the gateway to it. After all, you practiced it there long ago. The gift you continue to deny will only help you discover the truth of your death."