Chapter 26

Then she was gone...

Veronica had released her hold on Regina, and then slipped out as fast as she came. She went to the place that beckoned her — the dark void that remained her home for over a century now. Scarlett fell back with a soft thud upon the chair. Her eyes were closed, her breathing calm and gentle. Regina was wordless and in thought, simply studying Scarlett.

"We need the damn Ghostbusters in here," Grace announced. She quickly rushed over to Scarlett, tapping her softly on her cheek. "Scarlett, you're still here, right?" She sounded doubtful with her question.

"She is," Regina stated.

She's simply in between now, finding her way back," Regina stated quietly.

"Finding her way back?" Grace looked perplexed and flabbergasted at the statement.

"Well, where the hell did she go in the first place?" She shook her head, piercing Regina and Rosetta with her worried eyes. "With all due respect, this is freaking abnormal, people! This is, by no stretch of the imagination, typical daytime talk, folks! People don't normally become," she stretched her arm to Scarlett, "taken over by some, some —"

"Entity," Regina provided.

Grace nodded. "Yes, that's it. I'm already at max level of disbelief here. Between her house, and the chic that's floating around there, and now this. I really think that I may need medication after this is over."

She plopped down on the sofa, leaning into Scarlett. "Wake up, my friend. From wherever the hell you are."

She grabbed Scarlett's hand, squeezing it firmly. "Snap out of it."

Regina moved then, slowly rising, placing the amulet in her skirt pocket. "She will come to, momentarily, Grace." She placed her hand upon Grace's shoulder. "Spirits that challenge the realm of present and past, take a toll on the human body if they accomplish the task they set out to do."

Grace looked up from her hands, which were cradling her face now. "Geez, that makes me feel even better."

Rosetta moved then, picking up the sage and snuffing it out on the shell.

"I know it's difficult for you to be open-minded about these things that are occurring, Grace. Not everyone can understand the complexity of the human mind, nor do they want to admit that there are the possibilities of different dimensions, other than the one we exist on."

Grace responded, sounding weary. "Listen, I get it. Scarlett has been my best friend since college, and I knew of her gift then. What I don't get is ghosts wanting to deliver harm on humans, specifically, Scarlett. And lastly, who the hell would want to grasp the concept of a ghost moving in on someone. That is pushing the envelope for even my depth of understanding."

She slapped her hands on her legs. "And for the record, I'm the one that finds this ghost thing absolutely fascinating, minus the spirit overtaking that is."

Rosetta listened with patience, and felt the strong pull of sisterhood between the two women. She liked that Grace's mind was not shut out to possibilities.

Regina nodded, and piped in. "There are truths that many refuse. Your friend was touched by this spirit for a reason."

"She told me the Veronica lady had a chat with her in a field today, but she didn't exactly elaborate with me on what she said entirely.

Regina grunted softly and then sat next to Scarlett who was slowly letting the light in her eyes.

"There you are." Regina placed her arm around the back of Scarlett lifting her up a bit more. Scarlett blinked a few times, then turned her head to Grace, and then to Regina. "Hello."