Chapter 27

Scarlett's heart was at a steady tempo, beating rapidly in the hearth of her chest. Aiden pierced her with his blue eyes, their sky color almost buckling her knees. But it wasn't the beauty of their color that made her quiver, it was the unspoken words within them that did. It was almost too much, too soon. They had just met for God's sake. Sex was sex, Scarlett, she screamed to herself. This was just sex.

He stood tall above her, masculine and enticing. His dark hair was tussled and heavenly. She wanted to pull him closer with it and kiss him, instead of looking into his eyes that held demand.

No longer caressing her, he stood, commanding without words.

"Aiden," she whispered in a broken voice.

"I want you," he said slowly and cautiously, trailing his finger down her arm.

"You have me," she said going up on tiptoe to kiss him more.

He shook his head, slightly smiling. "Do I?"

He was now twirling a tendril of her hair on his finger, watching it bind around it, then impaling her with his eyes. "Maybe I want more."

She came down from her tiptoes then, looking away from his locked gaze, blinking rapidly. "What are you talking about?"

He could see her fortress coming up again. Saw it instantly appear. It surprised him that he had even wanted more. He didn't necessarily want to settle down or commit, but the mystery of the want for her, the deep hunger he had, was something he needed answers to. It was becoming a quest for him to conquer.

She would keep her heart guarded, she thought. She didn't really have time for the dramatics that love would bring, nor was she so sure Prince Charming here wouldn't break her heart. This was just a friendship with benefits, she thought. This was a man and a woman — two consenting adults.

She bit her lip, trying to cease the thoughts pouring in her head.

He noticed immediately and decided to stop her mind from working and kissed her again. Long and slow, licking and twirling his tongue with hers. His need for her was engulfing him, and he could no longer deny the stirring of something he was unfamiliar with himself. She quite simply, captivated him.

She whimpered and then yielded, pulling him closer, placing her hands into his hair. He released the hold on her mouth, then placed his lips on the pulse at her neck, feeling its fast beat against him and tasting the salt of her skin. He licked there, suckling gently, careful not to be too rough. But she didn't allow him to continue. She was driven by an ache that needed abating. She placed her hands on his chest, forcing him to walk backward into the ballroom, all the while drinking him, tasting...

She was not shy in her mission, but bold and brazen.

The ballroom was without furniture still. Only the canvas of the protective cloths left behind from the workers littered the floor. Aiden and Scarlett didn't seem to notice, nor did they care. They both loved with desperation and silent words that would go unspoken. Their clothing disappeared without any regard, and the throb of heart and flesh consumed them both.

They made it to an area that was clean and not covered with paint cloths. It was the bare floor, but both didn't seem to care. Scarlett straddled Aiden, taking all of him inside of her, filling her core with all that he had to offer.

He watched the wealth of her hair fall like waves down her breasts. Saw the dance of sunlight filling the barren room. She arched backward, moving her hips slowly up and down, glorious without inhibition. She opened her eyes as she moved, smiling down at him softly. He cupped her breasts, feeling them move within the palms of his hands. As her rhythm increased, he pulled her to him, taking her mouth firmly.