Chapter 22

The silence in the kitchen was almost as loud as the fear within Scarlett. She looked over to Regina, who remained poised and calm. She was the first to break the silence.

"The preparations for the circle are nearly complete." She looked to Scarlett then. "You, young lady, need to realize that this is serious. A spirit with that kind of rage will eventually turn into something threatening to not only your body, but your mind and very soul."

She was leaning heavily on her cane, moving her hand on the crest.

"Make certain to remain with company until this comes to an end." She looked over to Aiden, who remained seated. She noticed the anger in the window of his eyes.

He cleared his throat then, pushing out his chair and walking over to Scarlett. "In other words, she may go insane staying here."

Regina watched him, aware of the flames that were burning between the two, and feeling the cover of protection he offered Scarlett.

"The mind is a powerful thing, Aiden. Scarlett's mind is different than most. She is strong and gifted."

Scarlett walked over to the sink, picking up the locket that landed there, being careful not to cut herself on the shards of glass from the broken kitchen window. She held the locket in her palm, feeling the heaviness of it and the untold story surrounding it seep into her skin. Answers were eluding her, but something deep inside told her that they would soon be revealed. She turned around.

"Regina, the cast of the circle is next week, right?" She walked toward Aiden and Regina, fastening the locket around her neck.

Aiden watched, frustration consuming him. He wanted to rip the damn thing off of her. Everything about this situation made him on edge. The feelings he was having for Scarlett, the conflict surrounding this house... This was more than enough for him to cope with. When it pertained to women, he liked to draw a steady line with nice little boundaries. Now his rules seemed to be shot to hell, and he was the one hurdling over the lines.

Scarlett watched Aiden, very aware that he was thinking again. She could almost see his thoughts playing out in his mind. Instead of trying to analyze it, she simply drew a breath and averted her eyes back to Regina.

"Seven days and the moon will be its fullest," Regina said, leaving the kitchen, walking slowly, looking around. Scarlett walked beside her, placing her hand on her arm.

"I have to say, this will be, by far, the most bizarre thing I will ever take part in."

Regina laughed with delight. "Oh, girl, your life is young. There will be many more strange things to occur in the path that you will walk."

Scarlett chuckled softly. "Nothing like this, I'm sure."

They stopped at the door. Regina looked over to Aiden, who was leaning on the wall with his shoulder.

"I imagine there will be much to take place in your life." She smiled softly. "But for now, we must close this door so you may open another."

Scarlett walked her out. "I like the sound of that, Regina. And I'm glad that you are on my side."

Regina viewed the length of the lawn, hearing the history speak on the breeze. She inhaled the smell of summer, and then one at a time descended the porch steps. Regina clicked her tongue, looking down, then up toward the lawn again.

"You see that old oak tree over there?" She was now on the gravel, pointing with her cane in the direction she wanted Scarlett to see.

"Yes, I see it."