Chapter 4| North Peons

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh ?!!

Holding his hand out towards me, I stepped back a step. Of all the surnames that could exist in this world, Peons just had to be his. Right now, I wouldn't even be surprised if Heron and he are actually brothers. Cocking his head towards his right out of sheer habit, his eyes looked a bit droopier than it actually was. C-cute..

I shook my head, that was unnecessary for me to think of, especially since his the opposite sex. He must be wondering what my name was from his curious eyes. No harm done telling my name, right ?

"My name is Rein Aurelia, nice to meet you too North-kun" I took his hand and shook it firmly. He smiled at me with his toothy grin, causing me to laugh a little. Some screams were suddenly heard from another side of the alleyway and crackles of fire spun like hell. Pulling North with me, we barely escaped the fire that almost caught us in the alleyway.

North stood frozen in fear, white as sheet. Nice to see someone still has common sense in this place. Running towards the carriage full of bags and clothes, North suddenly  stopped. I looked at him, frustrated. Gah ! I just met him, why do I want to keep him ? I was about to scream at North when his fiery eyes reflected the heat of the fire.

"North, run !"

"Sorry, Ms.Rein but they still need me" with those words, he went back towards the fiery town. If I was still my past life I would have left him to die, it was nothing personal. It was just that I didn't want to get involved. But this seven years had grown on me. I somewhat mixed my past life's personality to this life's. And let me tell you, Rein Aurelia does NOT leave a person she thinks interesting to die. She's that crazy that way.

I took off, jumping off the carriage. The coachman and horses were getting nervous so to divert their attention, I ordered the coach to go back. Reluctantly, he did but not before giving me a bezoar. Whoa, this Otome game has a lot of minerals that don't exist in my old life. I should just be thankful right now so at least I have decently chance of survival.

I was wondering how did this fire started. This just can't a coincidence. First, a drunk man at the middle of the day then this. And when I just had to finish introducing myself to North. Nope, Nu-uh, No way whatsoever is this just a coincidence. Running around the town in search for the most idiotic boy in this world, I noticed that the townspeople were already gone. Either dead or ran away, I guessed.

Children's screams were heard several feet from me and instantly, I began running. Of all of the beauty and goodness in this world, it just had to give me children. Maybe their the "they" North was talking about ? Finally reaching my destination, a woman on the sidewalk was crying. I ran towards her.

"Are you alright ?" I asked her.

"Sarah, Einar, Fremont...their still in there.." She sobbed, "North, that boy...running inside to save those poor children.."

So North was here, and now his risking his life to save three children. I got to say, that was really brave of him. So brave I almost find it amusing. I shook my head, I'll think about that later.

"Please, I beg you, whoever you are" she begged with all of her soul, "please save them"

Her breathing seized and I touched her neck. No heartbeat. She's already dead. The splinters and burnt marks must be because something fell on her. Yet here she is, still crying for those three children. I tore off my already burnt skirt and made it into a shroud for the woman who died crying for the safety of some children. Rest in peace.

Running inside the burning building, destruction was the mere definition of the building inside.

"North !" I screamed his name. Sickly coughs were heard. Going to the source, the four children was stuck between a large amount of burning wood. The three children who are most likely Einar, Fremont and Sarah were shaking in fear for their lives. Amazing how even though he was cowering against a man, if it's to protect someone, North's attitude changes.

"Ms.Rein !" He yelped in surprise, "what are you doing here ?! It's dangerous !"

Thanks for stating the obvious, North. Looking around to find anything to help the children from their nearing doom, North looked at me pleadingly for help. Sigh~ guess I have to save the day again. Going out of the room where North and the others were stuck, I went up the stair to look for any cloth that isn't burnt yet.

One by one, I searched the rooms upstairs until I reached the last room. It was yet to be affected since it was farther from the fire so I grabbed the opportunity to take any and all cloth that could help me save North and Co.

Finally stacked with all sorts of clothes, I went back to the room only to see Sarah and Fremont coughing hysterically and laying on the floor. North was covering his nose and the eldest was trying hard not to panic. I covered some of the larger fires surrounding the children with the bedsheets I took. The t-shirts were given to the two said children and had covered their noses and mouths with it.

I finally noticed my head becoming dizzy. Gah ! Just a bit more and they could be saved, I pushed myself. Finishing placing the last of the sheets on to the burning wood, I quickly ushered the four towards the hallways. Einar ran with Fremont on his back whilst me and North carried Sarah as fast as we could. Soon, Einar and Fremont reached the outside of the building. Sarah, me and North was about to get out when a large column fell, almost killing us if not for our swift escape.

Damn this seven year old body ! My eyesight was almost losing its will. With the last of my strength, I pushed North outside the building so he could catch Sarah from my side. Surprised by my action, he didn't take long to see my supposedly heroic action.

"Ms.Rein, no !" I threw Sarah's eight year old body with all I could to North. He successfully caught her but as soon as I threw her unconscious body, the open slight burnt escape was no more. Only hot masses of burning wood.

This sucks, I die when my story was going to start next month. Oh well, maybe God will be merciful and let me get another life ?